Fat tail VS leopard

Coretta

Hi :) I'm pretty new to all this and I've never owned a gecko yet

I applied to adopt a rescued leopard gecko who is blind in one eye. They havn't emailed me back yet though (I sent email yesterday) But I was looking on craigslist just to see what they have and I found a fat tailed gecko and was wondering what their needs are. The gecko comes with everything for 50$. I am wondering is I should even bother getting him, imo he looks skinny but I posted this for your opinions on his health (on whether I should get him, cause he looks skinny, and Im new to this so maybe thats just how they look!) But are the care requirments for a leopard gecko simliar to a fat tailed?

Hope this pic works:
34j3pu8.jpg

Thanks for any help :D

Coretta

Oh, Im not saying Im not going to research them personally (I am! :p) I'm just wondering based off your experiences.

Coretta

And um yes I realized that this may sound confusing. First off I don't know how to edit anything so Im jsut posting replies.

Second, I am mainly intrested in adopting animals that need help, so if he is healthy healthy I won't bothering emailing them. I just don't like seeing them starve so yeah.. And thrid I'd have his own tank not with my leopard gecko ;)

Okay now I'll stop replying :D

Taquiq

JK Herp
I have Leopard Geckos so I prefer them. But I'm looking to get a Fat Tail soon.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's hard to make out the picture of the fat tail, but I notice that though the body is a bit skinny, the tail is not only pretty fat, but is a complete tail (it seems that lots more fat tails lose their tails than leopard geckos). I can't tell you which of your choices needs rescuing more, but I do have both leopard geckos and fat tails. The main differences are the following:
--fat tails need more humidity than leopard geckos, so could use some misting a few times a week
--fat tails are much more reluctant to eat worms and usually eat crickets
--I have found fat tails to weigh less for comparable age and size than leopard geckos
--fat tails are more retiring. They spend more time in their hides, but they also will sit more quietly in your hand rather than struggling to get away.

Good luck on your decision.

Aliza

Visit our friends