fat tailed growth rate?

youngarchitect

too all the experienced people out there,

i have a young male (hatched mid-october) that i believe is undersized
and not eating at all.. (it's been 4 weeks!)

although it does vary gecko to gecko, what is the ideal length & weight for a 4 month old male?

thanks a bunch, i'm just concerned

Sikmike

Not sure about ideal length and weight for a 4month old, but 4 weeks of not eating is awhile. If you haven't tried by now, but maybe you have, change his food. He may be turned off of what he was eating randomly, crazier things happen. So obviously if he's fed mealworms, try crickets, and likewise etc. Maybe I'm jumping the shark here, but if he continues to not eat, you may need to make a gecko slurry or syringe feed him mealworms to get something in him and to replenish his appetite.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have had intermittent trouble with young (and sometimes older) fat tail geckos not eating. I had one born in July that stopped eating at about 4 weeks of age for quite awhile and her tail dwindled very quickly, but she did start again and was ravenous. One suggestion I have, even if he is eating crickets, is to take a mealworm, hold the gecko and gently press the mealworm along the side of the mouth. Often it will open the mouth and bite the mealworm. I have had some geckos that just needed to be "reminded" how to eat again and I've found the fat tails more apt to "forget" than the leos. If none of this works, he may need a vet visit.

ALiza

M

mom2twinsplus2

My fat tails seem kind of picky. I have 3...one will eat crickets or dubia but not supers or mealworms, 1 will eat only crickets and one will eat only superworms (not sure what to do about this guy...I can't imagine it is good for him to eat only supers). I don't offer pinkies so I have no idea if they will eat those or not. I have only tried phoenix worms with one of them but she was not a fan...it is really odd how picky they are.

Alison

cryptid_hunter

When I first got my little male I had to feed him by holding him and pressing waxworms and crickets up against his mouth, and he did pretty well. But he wasn't really a problem eater, it turns out I was the problem. The big female, Miami, ate in a separate feeding tub, she would devour 12+ crickets every day. But when I would put the male, Mojo, in there he was just focused on getting out, he didn't like it. But at the time I just thought he wasn't eating. Then one day, out of frustration I just put him back in the enclosure and threw some crickets in there and the little bugger went right after them, shaking that little tail and all. So while Miami would eat in a separate feeding bin, Mojo wouldn't. So now I just feed them both in their enclosure and both are nice and fat and mating.

Visit our friends