Fat Tails changing color?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
One of my juvies had been turning an incredible pale orange color and her brown bands were fading out. She had been kept in a 6qt. tub with good humidity and temps around 92. Recently I put a few of my juvies together in a more naturalistic enclosure: 20 long tank with eco earth and slightly cooler temps. Ever since I put her in there, her colors have darkened significantly. ANyone else have similar experiences?

Aliza

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
How much cooler are the temperatures? I heard that fatties are sensitive to temperature change. Maybe since she was used to a higher temp, she feels "cold" in the new set up & that's why she's darkening. I know that low temps can make your leo's colors darker until they get "hot" again.

RampantReptiles

I also heard that along with cooler temps a darker substrate can cause leos to darken. Not really sure that it is true but I think so. I am sure that something like that would ring true for fatties as well.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
I hadn't heard that one. That's interesting. We switched our leo to coco fiber & his colors actually seem to be very vibrant. When he was on paper towels he was pale, or looked pale. But now he's very striking. His color had darkened but its a bright dark, Hmm...interesting.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The temps are about 10 degrees cooler, though I'm succeeding in closing the gap. The substrate changed from white to dark brown. She's still looking nicely colored in sunlight.

Aliza

Visit our friends