:) finally got some tile/slate :)

GothicGurrrl

I have finally managed to get some tile/slate for substrate and it was free :D :D

I went to the tile store to get some tiles to fill the size of my vivarium floor and I ended up coming home with a huge piece of tile that the shop dude gave me for free.
It is perfectly usable, the only reason why he couldn't sell it was because it was previously used in a display and had silicone glue on the back. I can easily remove that and disinfect/clean the tile and its great ^ ^

I'm sooo happy. It was worth about £37-40. It's a lovely natural colour and has a slate texture. I'm sure my leopard gecko will love it.. and I can finally get her off sand. (I bought this because it's what she had in the pet shop, but I watched her eat to make sure she didn't eat the sand).

wooo :)

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
YAY Sarah... I hope it fits... you'll have to post pix once you get it installed. remember you're gonna need a good 2 days for it to get up to temp esp if it's one solid piece and about a haf inch thick. You might even consider baking it in the oven for an hour at the lowest setting just to get it warm before you install it.

GothicGurrrl

YAY Sarah... I hope it fits... you'll have to post pix once you get it installed. remember you're gonna need a good 2 days for it to get up to temp esp if it's one solid piece and about a haf inch thick. You might even consider baking it in the oven for an hour at the lowest setting just to get it warm before you install it.

That's a good idea :D I would never have thought about that :D .. soo she will be okay if I put it in her tank straight after that.

I'm also abit worried about the heat getting through the thickness of the slate stuff. I estimate it's about 3cm-5cm thick. will the heat mat like heat through it??

:D I will get a piccie of it very soon ^ ^

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I have posted so many threads about how the UTH worked with natural stone, maybe you could go back and look in my profile at previous posts in lieu of me posting it all over again plz. Also that would depend on the lowest setting of your oven. My lowest is like 150 degrees F so that would be too hot. You may need to let it cool off for a bit, keep your probe on it and install it when it reaches like 98 degrees. That way your uth isn't working overtime trying to heat the entire surface since rock dissipates and distributes heat evently thru the entire rock surface insted of just one spot.

GothicGurrrl

Well.. I finally installed the tile/slate into my gecko's vivarium :D It looks quite nice. I bet she's confused lol she's never been housed on this substrate before. It's warming up okay.. I was quite worried about the heat but it's almost at 30C now.

My gecko is going to shed very soon, probably during the night. She's pale :D

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Sure tease us with the tile is done but no pix :(

Glad ya got it in tho... I think you'll love it.

GothicGurrrl

haha.. sorry I will get a picture tonight after college. I was soo busy last night that I had to rush the tile to do my animal behaviour assignment lol

It's nothing fancy.. it's just brown/green earthy looking slate :D
I still haven't finished on the whole viv makeover :D

GothicGurrrl

pics :D

haha, sorry about the wait for a pic of my new tiles :D

my whole vivarium makeover is not finished yet.. but the tiles are a start :D

I used your idea of using like a 'litter tray' for my leo to poop. it makes it easier to clean and she's used to being on sand soo she will probably feel comfortable pooping there lol

For the purpose of the photo, I turned on a UV light that I don't use anymore. It's still installed in my vivarium (never used) but i haven't had the time to remove it yet. lol I took my leo out of her tank while I took the photos. :D she was a pain lol .. running around on my shoulder while i was trying to take photos lol

sooo.. here they are, finally :D

154990_1748461157555_1419602672_31924424_5008449_n.jpg

154990_1748461197556_1419602672_31924425_5395464_n.jpg

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I think it's looking GREAT Sarah. The tiles look almost identical to my vinyl simulated slate ones. Good job. :main_thumbsup: I love that you used the litterbox idea too. Make sure you bait it with some of her poo just to make sure she knows that's where you want her to go. Can't wait to see it all together.. altho I don't know what else you might need to add...

GothicGurrrl

haha :D thanks!!

yeah, I did that. She's pooped in there alot now. But I take it out every night.

Well, I have some left over tile soo I want to make a little rock thing that she can climb. I need a background picture thing.. but I don't know where to get some. My exotic management class is going to a big reptile store on friday soo I will have a look there :D
and I want some more fake plants.. because I only have one lol.

but, yeah thanks so much :D I'm really proud of my little viv :D

Visit our friends