First set-up for my first, future girl!! Exciting!

GeckoDude31

I’m waiting for temps to rise where I live for my first gecko. I live in northern Minnesota where temps can be brutal. I will be getting a one year old raptor girl that weighs about 45 grams. From what I have read and viewed on these forums in the past months, I have come to this setup. I must say, for it being the first set-up, I’m quite pleased out it looks. However, I’m always looking for improvements and tips to make it better for my future girl. My moist hide is not in the pictures, but it will be ready for when she comes. The tiles on the sides are perfect for filling in the gap of the 16x16 tile. Those, too, are in the tile isle in your local hardware store. I’m still trying to figure out what to do on the left side of the terrarium floor. There isn’t a full inch for the spacers, but I may put them at a safe angle. Also, I will be getting my digital thermostat to help aid with heating. Thanks for looking, and feel free to comment with tips/ and or concerns. I think this is girl is going to be living in style! :)
Gregg

prettyinpink

Looks good :) Seems like you're doing good on doing everything before you get your leo. Just make sure all the floor temps are right, and get that moist hide...also the calcium 'dish' on the floor. :)

GeckoDude31

I have the 3 in 1 repti hide. Also, I'm ordering a digital temp probe for the floor. Does anyone have those Infrared Digital Thermometer Laser guns? If so, which one do you have?

GeckoDude31

yeah they are great.I paid $50 canadian. you can get the PE-1 which is the basic model .They're both good IMO

Is this better than having a constant, little, cheap probe on the floor/ how often to you check the temps with the gun?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Your tank looks pretty good so far. Don't forget you can also build upwards with some branches and rock piles. ALso Even tho you're getting the temp gun, if I were you, I would feel safer if there was a probe in there as well so that you can check it at a passing glance insted of manually checking it 50 times a day. Like was mentioned, depending on what suppliment you use a calcium dish in the tank unless you're using an all in one suppliment like Repashy calcium plus icb or T-Rex leopard gecko dust. If you use those no calcium dish is needed. Only other thing I would like to suggest is a litterbox :) yes they can be taught to use one since they are clean herps, they pick one corner and that's where they go 99% of the time. I have one for my leo and love it. It makes clean up sooo easy and contains all the mess. It's just a tie box cut and overlapped on itself then wrapped in duct tape to make it more moisture resistant then filled with some desert sand (and NO he doesn't lick the sand or ingest it at all that I've seen). Here's a pic of mine.

361630803461-nalFA.jpeg

All I did to get him started on the litterbox was ask his breeder to send a lil paper towel with some of his poo in it so I could "bait" the litterbox to draw him there and it worked like a charm.

GeckoDude31

Do any of you know is it it safe to use silicone to help seal up some of my tile to the bottom of the cage? There will be no silicone showing--I'm just curious for fumes. It will have time to air out before any gecko will be in there.

roger

Do any of you know is it it safe to use silicone to help seal up some of my tile to the bottom of the cage? There will be no silicone showing--I'm just curious for fumes. It will have time to air out before any gecko will be in there.

I would also keep a seperate probe in the tank.Silicone should be fine as long as its cured.Fish tanks also have silicone in them

UnicornSpirit

Graphic Designer
(optional) Aesthetics: I think a piece of Mopani wood or Grapewood for the center might help add a little more dimension to your tank and give your leo some surface room to explore. They really do love to explore. :]

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Cured means completely dry hon. Like a good 48+ hours after application. You generally hear that term with concrete. Also if you're worried they make special silicon solely for the use in aquariums.

roger

Cured means completely dry hon. Like a good 48+ hours after application. You generally hear that term with concrete. Also if you're worried they make special silicon solely for the use in aquariums.

Thanks dog shrink .Actually thats the silicone that i meant when i mentioned tanks

Visit our friends