Flooring.

Bbugs

Animal Addict
I just picked up a 20 gallon tank that needs some loving, but it was $20 so it is worth it. I have used brown reptile carpet before, but I would like more options. I want to use something realistic. I am making it a desert theme. What can I use? I have seen people use tile, and it looks awesome, but I heard some can give off fumes? Are there any other options? Thank you.

GeckoGurl

You can use many things... you can even use the "sticky" vinyl tiles but I would use a higher grade one not the flimsy ones. I do not recommend carpet as it holds bacteria and the Leos can also get stuck on it. Most people on here would use paper towel or tile. Tile is real easy to heat and clean. Of course sand is not recommended but if you chose to do not use Calci-sand as your leo will be more likely to ingest it and there for a greater risk for impaction. If you use sand I recommend always going with "play sand" bought at a local hardware store. I used sand but I also fed my Leo in a dish so it was less likely for her to get sand in her mouth when hunting and missing. Hope this helps a little.

I would also add that if you used sand and noticed sand in their poo to switch it out. Tile can also be cut to fit the tank... I have also seen some people use the shelf liner stuff that is kinda like foam and bumpy instead of paper towel cause you can get it in many colors.
Good luck! Hope you find something you like!

Last edited:

prettyinpink

I think you should go with tile! It's cheap! And very easy to clean and looks really nice. You can even get the stuff that looks like sand. Heats up nicely too :)

I just switched Fae to tile and I love it. They were on paper towels before, but it got too hot. So I grabbed some tile and it just looks so nice. Although I do use tile for my beardies :p I'll be switching all my other leos to tile by the end of the week. :) And you can always switch the tile out if you end up not liking it.

For the desert theme they have nice sandy and even feels sandy at my local lowes, and they have nice granite looking ones too.

GeckoGurl

Your welcome! I agree with the tile, I have not gotten mine yet cause Im switching tanks around and when I went to Lowes I could not decide there are lots of great choices!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Any high end vinyl tiles would work best imo. Like gothic mentioned ones that would crack when bent rather than bend and flex are higher end tiles. I use them in my tank with a uth and on occasion a 50-75 watt heat bulbs and get no off gasses or any other issues. I did stick mine to the glass, super easy to clean and maintain the proper temps. You can have difficulties with ceramic tiles acting as a thermal barrier ranther than a good heat conductor as the nature of porcelain and ceramic is to distribute heat thru the entier surface of the object to minimize heat transfer. You will have more of a warm area rather than a hot spot using porcelaine or ceramic tiles. Natural stone or marble tiles would be best such as slate, granite or similar types. You can usually find pieces that are scrapped at kitchen remodle places or get old samples from their outdated display books. If not any place that supplies stone for landscape or custom pond makers. You should find it in a phone book.

Also if you want to see how it looks there are some pictures in my user profile photo albums.

Bbugs

Animal Addict
Would sand be okay if I feed in a separate area? Or should I just stick with tile to be safe.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
My view on sand is why risk it if there's better, easier (IMO) options. I do however keep a litterbox in my tank for Loki which he does use all the time filled with a little desert sand but he never eats it and isn't fed there, but on occasion he will go in there and kick some of the sand out like he'd been playing in it (he's also done that with his calcium dish when he had one).

Bbugs

Animal Addict
My view on sand is why risk it if there's better, easier (IMO) options.

I was also thinking that. I have few tile questions. If I use slate, isn't it a little heavy? Also, do you just set it in there so you can take it out to clean it? Lastly, do you recommend big tile or smaller tiles?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I would recommend using the larger tiles. Less cracks and creases for food or water to get thru, and if you go with natural stone such as slate you want it as thin as possible preferable pre cut to the size you need. I use thick vinyl times so I cut them myself and stuck them down in the tank so there's nothing getting thru them , no need to take anything out and clena it. Just spray and wipe. If you use tiles with open grout lines (ie nothing sealing them) you will have to take tiles out and clean them and wipe up any moisture that gets trapped between tile and tank floor.

Just so you can see how natural it looks here's a pic of my tank when t was in the building process.

prettyinpink

I was also thinking that. I have few tile questions. If I use slate, isn't it a little heavy? Also, do you just set it in there so you can take it out to clean it? Lastly, do you recommend big tile or smaller tiles?

I use big slate tiles, and then they cut the last one down to the size of the tank. I just set mine in, you don't have to worry about weight...they're not that heavy.

Bbugs

Animal Addict
Okay, thank you:) I have a 20 gallon I am setting up. Do you know how you measured?
62d713c2-c18d-6d28.jpg

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
If that is a 20 long tank you will need 2 full 12x12 tiles with 1/4 inch cut off one edge, then 1- 5x12 tile cut (obviously a 12x12 cut to a 5x12) plus the 1/4 inch off the 5 inch wide end. Cutting like this will give you the room you need to get around the silicon bead inside the tank edges.

If you grout you won't be able to remove the tiles unless you loose grout with just regular sand brushed in to fill in the gaps between the tiles.

Joao

v Snowflake v
I had to trim leftover 13x13 peices my parents had. I ended up cutting it a little smaller than the 12x30 that its supposed to be. Not all tanks are the same, though.. I also noticed the fitment was looser with repticarpet underneath. Im pretty sure it has to do with the silicone.

If anything you can "sand" it by scraping it against concrete. Just a tip in case you need it.

Oh and tile/slate is definately the way to go... my girlie is so much happier now. She hated the repti carpet.

GeckoDude31

I would recommend using the larger tiles. Less cracks and creases for food or water to get thru, and if you go with natural stone such as slate you want it as thin as possible preferable pre cut to the size you need. I use thick vinyl times so I cut them myself and stuck them down in the tank so there's nothing getting thru them , no need to take anything out and clena it. Just spray and wipe. If you use tiles with open grout lines (ie nothing sealing them) you will have to take tiles out and clean them and wipe up any moisture that gets trapped between tile and tank floor.

Just so you can see how natural it looks here's a pic of my tank when t was in the building process.

When you use vinyl, do you put anything under the tile, such as paper towels? I'm going back and forth on vinyl, real slate, and hardwood flooring. :S

Visit our friends