Flooring.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
No there is nothing between the vinyl and the glass of the tank. As a matter of fact I actually peel off the protective backing and stuck the tiles directly to the tank floor. Search back thru my threads... you'll find a ton on this subject.

GeckoDude31

What can I use to put on the glass part of my 18x18? I do not want to put the ceramic tile right on the glass. Would paper towel be safe?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
paper towels could work so could a thin washcloth like ones used on babies or a piece of receiving blanket. You want to keep it thin and easy to take out if it gets damp. I'm afraid paper towels might harbor bacteria and could be difficult to take out if they get damp and stick to the glass.

GeckoDude31

Would a dish towel be a fire issue with the heating pad? I'm thinking about getting a 16x16 slate tile and filling in the sides with some other substrate--not sure what, though. Ideas? thoughts?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
A dish towel could be too thick and I don't think there should be any fire issue as long as the uth is on the outside of the tank and the towel is on the inside under the tile (well regardless of where the towel is it shouldn't be a hazard considering most uth don't go over 105 degrees). As far as filling in around the tiles you could use sphagnum moss to help with your tanks humidity levels, or some large bark chip, or maybe some large riverstone (bigger than your leo could eat). The thing that worries me is that going with anything under the tile, you have to be able to easily access it with minimal tank destruction to be able to change it and clean frequently.

GeckoDude31

Ok, I picked up a 16x 16 tile from hd that will fit in nicely. Around the sides I picked up little square pieces for the borders. I think it's going to look great. I just don't want to scratch up the glass with the ceramic tile. Maybe I will try the paper towel thing as long as it's safe. ThAnks!

Visit our friends