For NCbeast (and others) Hot hide set up

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Ok this is an expansion of another thread where ncbeast and I were trying to get his hot side to temps. This is simply a pictorial showing how my hot hide side is set up, how the probe is tacked sown etc. Plus just a little showing off of Eros, not that he was happy about being disturbed mid day.

Top view of Eros' hot hide with all his furnishings intact. You can see his litterbox and what we call "stonehenge" in the left corner.
361630803461-nalFA.jpeg

Top view with furnishings removed:
361630822789-92p3f.jpeg

Hot hide with top removed revealing one UNHAPPY Eros. You can see his back foot on the black elect. tape holding down the probe.
361629826309-EfYHz.jpeg

Now that Eros has evacuated to his cool side hide we get a good look of what the inside of his hot hide looks like:
361629861253-U5X6h.jpeg

Eros hiding in his cold side hide giving me that "dirty" look: This one was just for fun...
361630849925-er7qH.jpeg

Close up of my probe and how it's secured to the bottom of the tank for accurate temp readings.
You can see the probe end is directly on the surface.
361629804933-DGuw3.jpeg

Another view of the probe from the side:
361629763589-DHIZa.jpeg

After re-assembling his hot hide you can see how the probe is situated in there.
My 6x11 mat runs the width of the tank so being a 20 long it is 12 inches wide so the mat takes up the entire area under his hot hide.
361630870533-3nwBd.jpeg

A happy Eros gets to go back to his happy hot hide, but NOT happy about the light intrusion:
361632007429-e6ruk.jpeg

Just a few exterior shots of the tank showing what insulating measures we took to ensure proper temps.

This is a semi side shot where you can see the plastic styrofoam insulation we applied to the tank to help keep the heat from transferring thru the glass.
You also get a good look at the 1x2 slats of wood the tank rests on for air circulation for the UTH.
361630690693-YGE8a.jpeg

This is the plastic styrofoam that we use on both sides of the tank and under the tank under the uth:
361587501445-PEmaA.jpeg

We covered half the screen top with foil to redirect heat back into the tank:
361630714245-Po3oY.jpeg

But looking at the foil was ugly so we had a little piece of ply wood cut to size and now it's a nice little table. If you look at the bottom of the tank you can also see the little 1x2 slats of wood the tank rests on to provide air circulation for the UTH.
361632135557-QSXbt.jpeg

Soooo that's Eros' tank and how we keep his temps proper. The light holds a 15 watt incandescent frosted bulb which provides maybe 2-3 degrees of additional heat. We alternate between a 50 watt blue moonlight bulb (which takes us up to about 102-103F) and a 75 watt infrared heat lamp bulb (which has taken us as high as 110F) as the weather demands. You can't read the thermometer but it says 94.5. Just about perfect.
361630778501-glbKp.jpeg

So I hope this pictorial was able to help yas out.

Peace...

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Does Eros not scratch at it or pick at it at all? ... just wondering dunno why.

No Jordan Eros never picks or scratches at the tape or the probe. One of the nice things about electrical tape is it seems to stick better when it's warm.

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
That's a beautiful setup.

Thank you Kelli... I pretty much just threw it together with left overs from my Russian tortoise after he passed. All I really had to buy was the moss and the UTH. The shale and bark were from the creek down the street :) Talk about building on the cheap aye :main_yes:

Visit our friends