Frustration with UTH

M

maximum

Hey guys. I just bought an UTH for my 20-gallon long aquarium. It is a Small Zoo-Med UTH, 6"x8" - recommended for 10-20 gallon glass aquariums. The UTH is attached to the glass and my "substrate" are porcelain tiles (about 1/4" or less thick).

I have a thermostat and 2 digital thermometers. The problem is, even when plugging the UTH directly into the wall, it will only heat up a small portion of the aquarium! It heats an area less than 6"x6". This heat does get up to 94 degrees F, but just in that small area. :(

Do I need to just buy a larger UTH? Do your UTH's only heat the area that they are directly under? Thanks!

M

maximum

Also, I am getting my leo August 12th, so I need to fix this problem fast!!!

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Where and how are you measuring the temperatures? How smallis the area that is reaching 94 degrees? The surface (gecko belly level) should be at around 90 degrees, so don't worry about the temperature of the surrounding air.

M

maximum

no, i have a probe on the tile... it says 94. however i can lower it with the thermostat. the problem is that i cannot heat a large enough area. do i just need a larger UTH??

M

maximum

What percentage of the bottom of the tank should be covered with the heating pad??? My "hot" hides will take up more space than 1/3 of the tank. Should they sufficiently cover the hot hides? Would 17" of covered bottom be okay in a 30" tank? Or would 10-11" be more appropriate?

R

rrhill

That tile should be conducting a lot of heat...you may need a larger UTH. I may have missed the amount of area of tile, how big of an area is tiled?
I would try a larger UTH, maybe a size up from the one you have now or order a 12" strip of 3" wide heat tape to run along the bottom.
Also a small matter, but what are you using to measure temps? I use a temp gun and it is one of the best tools I own. I highly recommend them!

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I think 1/3 of the enclosure getting heated is just fine. A small spot that reads 94 degrees is fine, too. Besides, the temperature may go up inside when you put the hide on the warm side.

Visit our friends