Gecko not pooping, conflicting info

Countrylovin4evr

Hi. After a ton of research and help from a nice person offFacebook, my family got a leo 3 was ago. We did a shadedweller t5 and a 50 watt ceramic heat , 55gal tank. Soil-sand substrate mix.
First 2 weeks it did fine. Feeding only mealworms at this time due to no crickets avail and couldn't get dubais atm.
This is 1-3mo old leo from petsmart. Was pooping regularly when I had 100 watt ceramic. But with the room being too hot due to our hot summers. So the wonderful person suggested 40 watt to keep warm side and cool side gradient. This worked. After adding vines to block some heat from cool side for really hot days.
Now, it hasn't pooped in a week. And was eating till yesterday. No food today either.

I've checked but see no sign of impaction, leo is active in my hand but very sleepy most of day. Seemed we were doing well and getting a pattern when it went all wrong.

I picked up dubai today but it shows no interest.

Now another person on a group says everything in set up is wrong. I am to go out and buy another light fixture thats dimmable, a halogen, and a deep heat projector. Yet if I put this many heat and light things up, it'll cook the poor thing!.
But obviously its impacted or something . I've tried warm soak for 3 days. Oil, nothing working.

On top of thatbothers said it looked to be shedding and since we've only had 3 weeks to leave it alone longer and it'll calm down. Bitb1 person keeps saying soak soak soak and get more heat and new lights. I had the money last month to get everything. But now I'm told to go get other things because everything is wrong. I'm stressed and upset. I'm at the point of returning lizard and giving up because I've obviously made it sick. But my son is attached already.
Also the one person said feed super worms... but it can't even eat large mealworms yet. I'm so confused. Can others give me a better explaination

AndyBunn

Hi don't panic you've come to the right place.

You don't need all those bulbs. You only need one source of heat in the vivarium.

The temperatures and humidity in your geckos home are really important for them to digest their food.

I set my thermostat for my ceramic heat bulb so the temp on the hotside is bout 30-32°c and the ambient temp on the cool side is around 22-24°c. The humidity is usually about 40% which I increase up to 60% when my gecko sheds his skin.

What are the temperatures and humidity in your geckos vivarium?

Once you get the temperature and humidity tight your gecko will start pooping and be more active.

The food items you offer should be no bigger than your geckos head. If you can get a variety of foods offer a mixture. My gecko switches his preferences every feeding time.

It might be a good idea to take your gecko to a vet to see if it has impaction.

This is the right place to be. There are many experienced gecko owners here.

I hope this helps and please let us know how you get on.

Countrylovin4evr

Thanks. Cool side stays between 75-80 (higher Temps when room is hot as there is no ac, so usually 77 )
Warm side is 85 ground (ground is sloped up to get closer to heat source) 95-100 on basking spot and showing 90 inside warm hide (basking spot)
Moist hide under hammock on warm side. Humidity 30-45, usually 35ish by end of day.

That is with the 100 watt che in today to see if that helps digestion. It was doing fine when I had that in. I changed to 50 watt as Temps where so high on cool side and it was perfect.

While I've been careful to feed small worms, I had a few days where all I had was a fat but shorter worm. I picked smallest I could find. Oddly our leo seems to like fatter worms over tiny.

I keep thinking its found a secret place to poop and I'm over reacting. And part of me feels that its stress from only being in family 3 weeks and suddenly having to get handed for soaks and belly rub when it's so young. We gave the 2 week wait period to adjust but being bothered and soaked must be stressful. Yet im afraid to leave it be with nothing if not pooping.

I am on a tight budget and can't afford a $300 vet trip atm. Sadly the only exotic vet here charges up the wazoo. And I've checked but no hard tummy, no black spots, nothing to actually indicate impaction from what I've read.

I appreciate someone new saying I don't need like 8 lights (ok exaggerated but still). I have ordered a dhp to switch out and see if that helps but it won't be in for a few days.

Being its been hiding in moist hide a lot and today there was some shred on foot I got off, I'm wondering too if it's shedding and stressed st same time and if leaving alone for a day will help. I've left 2 small dubai in escape proof bowl to see what happens.

If after 4 baths and 3 days of olive oil drop, plus using Temps hasn't done anything... what else can it be? I've rubbed with warm qtip on belly and lower areas. One issue o had was keeping water warm while soaking.. any hints to that? And if so impacted that nothing has worked... wouldn't there be another sign?
I'm gonna try to add pic from yesterday of belly.

Attachments

• 20210818_195338.jpg
    20210818_195338.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210818_194920.jpg
    20210818_194920.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

AndyBunn

Hi Countyloving4evr

I would try adjusting the temps abit. The temp of the basking rock is to high. Bring it down to 88-90°f. That should also bring the ground level temperature down to 77"°f.

The cool side needs to be about 71-2°f.

I use a pro rep 100w ceramic heat bulb and I've had no problems with it. And they aren't so expensive.

Your humidity is spot on. When your gecko starts to shed, You will spot this as his skin will turn pale, spray your moist hide so it's dripping wet. That way your gecko will shed with no issues.

As your gecko is still new to you and you've been handling it because you are trying to help you are probably stressing it out. My gecko took over a month to settle in.

There's a good site called lizards 101 with lots of handling advice. I'll put the link in this message.

Your gecko will find a spot to use as a toilet and use it all the time. So it will become easy to find any poop. My gecko used one spot in the corner and then 9 months later has started pooping on his climbing rocks.

I think that once you get the temps sorted and your gecko has had more time to settle in everything will be fine and he will be pooping.

I agree with you that your gecko is stressed. Sort out your temps and give the gecko some alone time and watch your gecko thrive.

Also things to note.

You don't need to bathe your gecko. I was told to do this when I first got mine and he hated it. He has always shed fine just using the moist hide.
If you do find bits of skin attached do what you have been doing with a qtip and lukewarm water.

My gecko poops irregular. Some times it's every day then nothing for a week or it's every two to three days. When they are shedding they tend to eat less so poop less.

Also you probably have but is there a water dish in your vivarium?
Geckos do like to drink and a water dish helps with humidity.

I just thought what time do you feed your gecko? I started off feeding mine in the morning but found that 6pm onwards suited him better as that's the time he's more active.

It's not unusual for you to worry about your gecko and its a good sign. I constantly worried when I got mine.

See if you can get hold of some husbandry books or read the posts on this forum and Gecko Time.

You'll be a pro keeper in no time.

Let me know how you get on.

Andy

AndyBunn

Thanks. Cool side stays between 75-80 (higher Temps when room is hot as there is no ac, so usually 77 )
Warm side is 85 ground (ground is sloped up to get closer to heat source) 95-100 on basking spot and showing 90 inside warm hide (basking spot)
Moist hide under hammock on warm side. Humidity 30-45, usually 35ish by end of day.

That is with the 100 watt che in today to see if that helps digestion. It was doing fine when I had that in. I changed to 50 watt as Temps where so high on cool side and it was perfect.

While I've been careful to feed small worms, I had a few days where all I had was a fat but shorter worm. I picked smallest I could find. Oddly our leo seems to like fatter worms over tiny.

I keep thinking its found a secret place to poop and I'm over reacting. And part of me feels that its stress from only being in family 3 weeks and suddenly having to get handed for soaks and belly rub when it's so young. We gave the 2 week wait period to adjust but being bothered and soaked must be stressful. Yet im afraid to leave it be with nothing if not pooping.

I am on a tight budget and can't afford a $300 vet trip atm. Sadly the only exotic vet here charges up the wazoo. And I've checked but no hard tummy, no black spots, nothing to actually indicate impaction from what I've read.

I appreciate someone new saying I don't need like 8 lights (ok exaggerated but still). I have ordered a dhp to switch out and see if that helps but it won't be in for a few days.

Being its been hiding in moist hide a lot and today there was some shred on foot I got off, I'm wondering too if it's shedding and stressed st same time and if leaving alone for a day will help. I've left 2 small dubai in escape proof bowl to see what happens.

If after 4 baths and 3 days of olive oil drop, plus using Temps hasn't done anything... what else can it be? I've rubbed with warm qtip on belly and lower areas. One issue o had was keeping water warm while soaking.. any hints to that? And if so impacted that nothing has worked... wouldn't there be another sign?
Lovely Leopard Gecko.

What a lovely leopard gecko
Amazing colours.

Countrylovin4evr

Ok. So yes to start those higher Temps where with 100 watt ceramic. Also when its 100 degrees here in town, that rooms stays at 80s, so with fans going I can control Temps a tad. I'm kind of stuck on that till our Temps drop which they have a bit this week. I put the 100 watt in to warm it up as others said that wjy ot wasn't digesting and I needed dhp. However with 50 watt (on thermostat to 96) the highest point hits 96 (it stayed at 90 when I set thermostat for 90) and lowest is 85 in warm side. Cool side will stay around 77 -78 with those Temps IF room is cooler for day. Again without moving tank to room that has no room, those Temps will be a tad higher on hot days.

Yes I have water in low dish, big enough leo can sit in without getting ears in water. (See I've done my homework before we got it)
I was doing same of feeding in morning but I'm offnwork and home by 7 so I had switched that. My kid is over on Fri at same time and gets to feed . Up until Wed leo was eating at this time. Now is too tired to bother looking at food.

Had been going poop on a wood piece, I decided to put a tray thing and paper towels there for easier cleanup , left the wood too, and suddenly poop stopped. I saw it last fri onnwood in different spot and now nothing all week hence the panic.

I also have light and heat on a stand so I can adjust height or place directly on cage as my own "dimmer" till I could afford one.

AndyBunn

Hi Countylovin4evr

I guess it must be hard to sort those temps out if you live in a place with such high temps. I live in the U.K so it's rarely that hot.

I didn't doubt that you'd done your homework. I was just getting a feel of your set up.
I've never seen my gecko drink from his water dish.

If I put something new in the vivarium or move things about my gecko doesn't like it and it takes a while for him to get used to stuff.

I think that once your gecko has settled in more it will start pooping again.

My gecko has gone a 8 days with out pooping and then has been fine.

You could try taking the food out if no interest is shown and try again the next day.
Your doing everything that you can and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Andy

Countrylovin4evr

Thanks. Yeah I live in WA state USA so we had a week of 100+ so there isn't much I can do. But the Temps dropped this weak so I'm wondering if that temp drop (and me changing the bulb to cool off) made enough difference to upset our leo.

Something I just noticed, a mealworm I thought it'd eaten is on one of its hides... a large worm now. At one point id given a darling beatle, and leo had nipped it but it hid in the hide and I couldn't find it.... after research... is it possible that a darkling may have eaten leo poop before I saw it and maybe qe haven't missed a poop at all? However we still haven't eaten in 3 days but this owning we are hiding in in moist hide and have pulled the moss up and is super buried in it. I'm thinking shed for sure

Countrylovin4evr

Update! I found poop! Hidden by cool hide. Wasn't there yesterday. Also she's hiding in moist hide still. I'll relax now. Hopefully will eat later

sydnehh

Hi. After a ton of research and help from a nice person offFacebook, my family got a leo 3 was ago. We did a shadedweller t5 and a 50 watt ceramic heat , 55gal tank. Soil-sand substrate mix.
First 2 weeks it did fine. Feeding only mealworms at this time due to no crickets avail and couldn't get dubais atm.
This is 1-3mo old leo from petsmart. Was pooping regularly when I had 100 watt ceramic. But with the room being too hot due to our hot summers. So the wonderful person suggested 40 watt to keep warm side and cool side gradient. This worked. After adding vines to block some heat from cool side for really hot days.
Now, it hasn't pooped in a week. And was eating till yesterday. No food today either.

I've checked but see no sign of impaction, leo is active in my hand but very sleepy most of day. Seemed we were doing well and getting a pattern when it went all wrong.

I picked up dubai today but it shows no interest.

Now another person on a group says everything in set up is wrong. I am to go out and buy another light fixture thats dimmable, a halogen, and a deep heat projector. Yet if I put this many heat and light things up, it'll cook the poor thing!.
But obviously its impacted or something . I've tried warm soak for 3 days. Oil, nothing working.

On top of thatbothers said it looked to be shedding and since we've only had 3 weeks to leave it alone longer and it'll calm down. Bitb1 person keeps saying soak soak soak and get more heat and new lights. I had the money last month to get everything. But now I'm told to go get other things because everything is wrong. I'm stressed and upset. I'm at the point of returning lizard and giving up because I've obviously made it sick. But my son is attached already.
Also the one person said feed super worms... but it can't even eat large mealworms yet. I'm so confused. Can others give me a better explaination
hey! the only heat source your gonna need is the heat mat! it is possible its still nervous after moving in! mine didnt eat and poop for 4 weeks! It is possible it is going to be impaction though, as with that substrate it has a high risk! I recommend reptile mat or even just paper towel! as shes so new i would quite go to the vet yet, if she does bloat, take her to the vet alothough its not cheap! p.s - they dont need a basking spot but as they like belly heat!

Visit our friends