general 1 gecko per gallon rule disproving therory

AlexT

Ok many people say that 1 gecko deserves 10 gallons 2 geckos deserve 20 gallons and so on. But lets brake this down to numbers. A (normal) ten gallon tank is 2s0x11x13 and since geckos need more floorspace being as it isnt a fish and doesnt really need the "gallons". Now a 20 long tank is 30x 13x13. So that is only 10 inches longer shouldnt the rule go by length like 20 inches in length per gecko? Now I am new so please dont think Im trying to over say the veterans but I am considerably curious being as I am considering a 2nd gecko and new tank sizes. I currently have 1 gecko 1 10-20 gal uth and 1 10 g tank. I can gain access to a 50 gal (36x18x17) with lid good condition for $40 or a 20 long with lid for $40 I am trying to figure out what is the best situation plus my dresser on which they wiul be on can fit 18" with a lil to spare. I might split the 20 or 50 (or whatever I get) up into two tanks im not sure yet. Also i need to know if a uth can be saftely removed once stuck from the bottom of the tank? but I need insight please if these details arnt exactly what you need to answer the question ask and I shall give you the ones you need.

Last edited:

geckogirl3

i think you should get the 50 gallon tank because it is bigger in case you have something tall in the cage (hides, egg laying boxes, etc.)

AlexT

i think you should get the 50 gallon tank because it is bigger in case you have something tall in the cage (hides, egg laying boxes, etc.)

I dont plan on breeding or anything but then what do i do with my uth for my 10 gallon can it be removed and should i split the cage in 2 or 3 becuz the other gecko will prob be adult and Bliss is a juvi but they were in the same cage at the store and seemed fine

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
Ok many people say that 1 gecko deserves 1 gallon, 2 geckos deserve 2 gallons, and so on.

Dunno where you've been hearing this, maybe for fish (which isn't exactly best either), but most books, caresheets, magazine article, and we veterans typically recommend a minimum of 10 gallons per geckos. And though I do have some leos (lone males) in 10 gallon tanks, I'd prefer and recommend a minimum of a 20 gallon long per gecko.

I dont plan on breeding or anything but then what do i do with my uth for my 10 gallon can it be removed and should i split the cage in 2 or 3 becuz the other gecko will prob be adult and Bliss is a juvi but they were in the same cage at the store and seemed fine

I wouldn't do it. Peeling the UTH you run the risk of damaging the internal heating element, which could hypothetically result in a negative malfunction, which could hypothetically result in a fire. Best to spend the money and buy a new one. Plus it'll give you the option of having a spare 10 gallon tank around that could be utilized as either a new arrivals quarantine tank or a sick tank.

As for the 50 gallon, there's nothing wrong with just setting it up for the new gecko and keeping "Bliss" separate. For that matter you could do the opposite in setting up the 50 for "Bliss" and using the 10 for the new gecko. Just because they were in the same cage at the store doesn't necessarily equate to their perceived getting along. Even females kept in harems can have issues and more often than not due to them establishing a hierarchy, a pecking order.

AlexT

I meant 10 gallons sorry I edited it. Also,what is your preference on housing geckos together or solitary? I read a post on a theory of together brings more tameness but i think its more tameness with age do you agree? if so should I just split the 50 gal into 2 (possible 3 )or is that to much) ) and my space is limited so sick cage etc is not really in the picture is more of one or the other im deciding between a new 10 or a 20 long and split into 2 or a 50 and split in 2 or 3. They will stay in my room which isnt big to begin with i got a desk and bed which take up 1/3 of room and a dresser thats about 42x18 so that seems to be the best place for them (sorry Im just spitting of measurements in case someone strikes an idea

fl_orchidslave

It may or may not work out to house geckos together. Depends on personalities, and each one has their own. If you count on housing them together and it doesn't work out, a lot of folks don't have another setup ready to move one into. A tragedy, it's irresponsible, and a totally preventable situation. Geckos are forced to live together in stores, there is great potential for aggression and disease that can rapidly spread causing damage to their animals. They aren't their pets, but merchandise to be sold as quickly as possible. It's a retail environment, not necessarily the optimal setup or conditions. Pet owners following their example are most often met with confusion and challenges. Some privately owned stores do better with their animal care.

If you can swing the larger tank, it would give you many more options. Dividing a 20 long would become quite limiting once you start putting in accessories and decor. Just like trying to fit a lot of stuff in a small room :)

AlexT

is there a cross between a 50 and a 20 long beacuse 50 is just to big in my opinion also Id rather have length and a normal width then try to get length out of the 50 and get unwanted height and width

Last edited:

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
is there a cross between a 50 and a 20 long beacuse 50 is just to big in my opinion

40 gallon breeder. I prefer them over 50s, particularly for reptiles, as they have more floor surface area. Most 50s to 55s I've seen, or are standard, tend to be tall and narrow, which is not really ideal for a terrestrial species.

A 40 breeder would also fit on your dresser. The Zilla Critter Cage 40 is 36L x 18W x 16H and comes with a sliding lid. You could use bathroom tileboard plastic guides and 1/8 inch thick plexi to create a divider down the center of the tank from front to back. I've done similarly with a critter cage 20. I also used tile board end caps to protect the screen when doing this.

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
if leopard geckos needed the volume of a 10 gallon aquarium, keeping 100 or more of them would be a whole different experience.

i've peeled an uth and it didn't stick well afterward. it worked fine, though.
ymmv

AlexT

40 gallon breeder. I prefer them over 50s, particularly for reptiles, as they have more floor surface area. Most 50s to 55s I've seen, or are standard, tend to be tall and narrow, which is not really ideal for a terrestrial species.

A 40 breeder would also fit on your dresser. The Zilla Critter Cage 40 is 36L x 18W x 16H and comes with a sliding lid. You could use bathroom tileboard plastic guides and 1/8 inch thick plexi to create a divider down the center of the tank from front to back. I've done similarly with a critter cage 20. I also used tile board end caps to protect the screen when doing this.

Ok i will look into this thank you....one last question any idea where to get a cheap 40 (breeder) thanks :)

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
if leopard geckos needed the volume of a 10 gallon aquarium, keeping 100 or more of them would be a whole different experience.

From the perspective of this thread, we're talking pets versus puppy milling them...I mean breeding them. Sure we can keep 100s of them where they can live in sterilite sweater tubs that have a surface area footprint smaller than a 10, but that's all they're doing is living,..if you want to call it that. That said though, I'm just as guilty of it, so I guess that'd make me a hypocrite. ALTHOUGH, if I had the space and money I know how I'd being keeping my leos. But if you want to split hairs on the last statement, then I guess we shouldn't be keeping more than 100, let alone 20 given how much space a 10 gallon, let alone a 20 gallon can take up! Personally, if I had it my way, a 40 gallon breeder would be minimum for a lone adult leopard gecko.

Food for thought, I night hiked a wash once and observed a TX banded gecko in it. I harassed the little guy then left him on his way. While hiking back up the wash I came upon the exact animal again, only 20 feet away. That's just a lowly little 3.5-4 inch "north american leopard gecko" that had a range bigger than any tank I could provide.

Ok i will look into this thank you....one last question any idea where to get a cheap 40 (breeder) thanks :)

Craigslist, free cycle (you have to join their yahoo group), various local classifieds, thrifty nickel (or whatever might be equivalent). OR you can save up and get a new one from petsmart, petco, local fish/herp store, etc...they're (zilla critter cage 40) on sale at petsmart for the next month.

notacoshells

you could take off the uth but you need to peel it off slowly and side with the glue will still be sticky. you should save the paper that is on the sticky side if you plan on removing your uth.

justindh1

I have thought about the 10 gallon rule and why is doesn't apply to plastic tubs Tokaykeeper. A 28 quart is only 7 gallons and a 15 quart is less then 4. Also, the top 1/3 to 2/3's of a glass tank isn't typically used by a leopard gecko. The actual used space in a 10 gallon is probably more like 5 gallons.

I keep half my geckos in tanks and half in tubs. I don't use 10 gallon tanks anymore for geckos. I use 15-20+ gallons tanks for each gecko if I use one.

sunshinegeckos

keeping leo's together is a completely personal dicision in my opinion and really depends on the geckos themselves. I had 2 together for 2 months with no problems and then one started getting bigger then the other and one day it attacked the other during feeding time. Luckily I was there to witness it and I had another setup to move one to (but thats not a common situation) I now will house them seperately. I have 2 in thir own 10 gallon tank and 1 in a 20 gallon. I am getting 3 more tomorrow (yay cant wait!) and they will be in 28qt tubs. Yes they are technically only 7 gallons but they give more floor space then my 10 and 20 gallon and since they are housed seperately I think they will do well. But wow ok off my soapbox sorry.

If they are not the same size I would not house them together, your just asking for trouble but that is my opinion.

edited to add: my 2 that are in 10 gallons are juvi's and I will move them up as they grow.

AlexT

When reading this fourm over I relized the 50 gallon I mentioned before (36x18x17) fits the measurements of a 40 breeder. Can it be that this deal is what you were referring(mislabeled as a 50 when its a 40 breeder) to as I should use to split two tanks(40 Breeder)? Also I was thinking is there a way to take a 40 breeder with screen and turn it so it has two screens somehow instead of one so they tanks can be accessed separately ?or is that to complicated for a newbie?

Visit our friends