General leopard gecko care

ChickenChump

Hey everyone! I was thinking about getting another leopard gecko sometime in the next few months. I had one 2 years back named Leo, who was a tame little fella and a great pet. Sadly he ended up escaping when the curtains from the window the tank was next to was accidentily draped into the tank when my family and I where gone for most of the day, and we never did find him. I went to a popular reptile store the other day (Pet Bazzar!) and discovered they had a couple healthy looking hatchlings leos for 30$ each. For my future setup, I plan to have a 10gallon with some reptile carpet as bedding. (Worked good when I had leo, washed 'em once a month and 2 years later I still have them!) A UTH, a 60 watt basking lamp for the day on the warm side, the hides, and other assorted stuff. For the feeders, I hate crickets. I don't want to deal with those. When I had a bearded dragon I had to withstand hours and hours of chirping every night from the damn escapees. So I was thinking a diet of mealworms, waxworms, and pheonix worms. For the pheonix worms, I breed and raise them for my chickens so I have a good 30,000 available every week. Thing is, I've heard of varying results from other people saying that these grubs were not digested when pooped, were regurgitated, or were ignored completely. Thanks to their nutritional value I would use these as a staple If I can. I feed these chicken feed, assorted grains, and occasional kitchen scraps. This is all for now. I'll post if I have any other question. :)

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF. I hope you get your gecko soon. Your setup generally sounds good, though I don't think they really need the basking light. Many people swear by phoenix worms. Waxworms should be used sparingly.

ALiza

ChickenChump

Thanks for the quick reply acpart. Unfortunately I posted this in the wrong section. Mods feel free to delete. (Main post will be in general discusion)

MiamiLeos

Your setup sounds good. The over head basking light won't hurt him but he probably doesnt need it, unless your house is oober cold. I know what you mean about the crix. I dont feed them at all either because I had a leo bit by one on the inside of his mouth. It was eventually the end of him. Phoenix worms are great if you can get yourleo to eat them. They are like the ultimate health food lol. I would feed phoenix worms to mine more often if they werent so darn expensive for their tiny size. A staple of mealworms is good. Mine also get waxworms, silkworms, and butterworms thrown in for treats. Butterworms are also good feeders, they have a lot of good calcium and not too much phosphorus and they are not as fatty as peple assume. Have fun with your new gecko buddy :)

Visit our friends