Getting a Leopard Gecko for the First Time Need Help!

Reptile_Lover

So I have owned a crested gecko for about a year now and I am interested in getting a leopard gecko. I have been researching around and reading care sheets but there are a few things that confuse me and some answers would be really appreciated. The thing with reptiles are everyone has different opinions. I am fine with that but please only answer my questions if you know what you are talking about. So here they are:

1. I will be feeding my leopard gecko strictly crickets. How often should I dust the crickets with a multivitamin if at all? Some care sheets say once a week others say once every second week.

2. I know I need to dust the crickets with calcium but should I dusk them every feeding? Should I use calcium with or without D3?

3. I am a little confused about feeding the crickets. Can I always feed them the same thing or should I change it up every week so that my leopard gecko will be digesting a variety of food items? What is the difference between gut loading and just feeding the crickets?

4. And finally do I need to mist the leopard geckos tank at all like I do with my crested gecko? How often should I mist the moist container that he will be using for shedding?

If you can answer any or all of these questions it would be greatly appreciated. I don't trust the employees at the pet stores so this is my only way to get answers.

Last edited:

crazylizardlady

So I have owned a crested gecko for about a year now and I am interested in getting a leopard gecko. I have been researching around and reading care sheets but there are a few things that confuse me and some answers would be really appreciated. The thing with reptiles are everyone has different opinions. I am fine with that but please only answer my questions if you know what you are talking about. So here they are:

1. I will be feeding my leopard gecko strictly crickets. How often should I dust the crickets with a multivitamin if at all? Some care sheets say once a week others say once every second week.

2. I know I need to dust the crickets with calcium but should I dusk them every feeding? Should I use calcium with or without D3?

3. I am a little confused about feeding the crickets. Can I always feed them the same thing or should I change it up every week so that my leopard gecko will be digesting a variety of food items? What is the difference between gut loading and just feeding the crickets?

4. And finally do I need to mist the leopard geckos tank at all like I do with my crested gecko? How often should I mist the moist container that he will be using for shedding?

If you can answer any or all of these questions it would be greatly appreciated. I don't trust the employees at the pet stores so this is my only way to get answers.

1. I dust for babies twice a week with multivitamin and calcium with d3 on all other days, for adults I dust every 3rd feeding with multivitamin and calcium with d3 for all other feedings. There are a lot of opinions on this and ways to do it so you will probably get different answers for this.

2. Dust with the calcium with D3.

3. Feeding the crickets nutritious food to ensure they are full of nutrients for your gecko is gutloading. I gutload with organic fruits and veggies usually oranges for my crickets I dont vary my insects diets. I would recommend having some variety in your geckos diet I currently feed mealworms, crickets, and dubia roaches with the occasional wax worm as a treat.

4. Leos dont need to be misted. They do need a humid hide for shedding purposes, you can make one with a tuperware container cut a hole in it and make sure there are no sharp edges I run a lighter around the edges to melt the plastic just enough to where its smooth and put a couple paper towels in the container, you will want to mist the hide every day or two and replace paper towels once a week.

A couple other things I would add, leos need belly heat for digestion a heat mat with a digital prob type thermostat is the best way to achieve this. Temps on the hot side measured on the floor where the leo would be laying should be between 88-92. Theres also the great substrate debate, I use tile with a layer of eco earth underneath to fill cracks and prevent air pockets creating hot spots. Be sure to provide hides on the warm and cool sides. And finally enjoy your new leo :)

Visit our friends