getting crested gecko need help

G

GecKo21

Hello I am new to this forum. I am a fish keeper and would love to start into reptile and I decided that the crested are a good choice for a beginner. Well I have a 65 gallon fish tank that was leaking so I want to put 3 crested geckos in there( 1 male 2 females ) I know basic care ect but this is what I need help on. They can be at room temp but we keep our house at 17 c (62 F). So I will need heating, but what are my options? Because The way the lid is I can not have a heat lamp, and I looked into a heating pad for under the tank but how can I control the heat? Use a timer? or what else can I do? Thanks for the advice in advance.

P

Pepper

There are plenty of under the tank heating pads, that you can actually mount to the side of the tank.

I just recently found one online that is a rain forest UTH so it has lower watts so it doesn't get to 90 something degrees like others, I should be getting it soon and I am going to mount it on the side.

It is the best way for arboreal reptiles to put it on the side, not on the ground under their tank.

There are thermostat things that you can hook up the UTH's that will regulate the temp at whatever you want.

I just got my first Crested a few weeks ago, but our apartment stays at around 75 so I didn't neat a heat source, but I'm going to get one anyways in case he wants to warm up.

Also, having 1 male and 2 females, expect mating, and you may lose some tails if the male is rough.

Are you going to feed CGD or crickets and meal worms?

Why can't you have a small heating lamp?

G

GecKo21

For the 1 male 2 females, i have enough room where I hope that dose not happen. Where online did you get your rainforest heating pad? also why on the side of the tank? and a heat lamp is not going to work because the lid is kinda sealed, here is a picture.
DSC03793.jpg

DSC03795.jpg

P

Pepper

I got the heating pad from reptiledepot.com

Because Crestie's and other arboreal species go on the ground to eat and such, if it's too hot they won't enjoy being on the ground, or even go on the ground. If it's on the side they have a choice to be on it or not on it.

Make sure to build that tank up so they have a lot to climb on. Branches, vines, large plants, etc...They don't need as much floor space as vertical space.

They will find each other, and they will breed, just look out for scuffles or fights, you may have to separate them.

How are they going to get air flow if the top is sealed?

G

GecKo21

if you look at the second picture, there is a lid on the lid. it opens up and there are holes where water drained and i have screens so they will not get out.

Visit our friends