Heat cable and foil tape

sammer021486

I am looking into building a rack system for this years coming offspring.

My problem arises with what I am limited to for heat sources. In Canada we are only allowed to use heat mats, heat cable, and lamps as sources of heat. Heat tape is not insured and since I live in an apartment complex any damages caused by a non-insured product could potentially leave the cost of damage on my shoulders, not the greatest thing for me if a fire breaks out.

So my questions are:

how would I set my rack up to provide the best possible distribution of heat with heating cable?

Is there a place to purchase heat mats for a decent price?

I see that reptile basics has 6X23 for around $15, that is the best I have found so far. The exo-terra 4x5 run for $13.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Well I am pretty sure no matter how you look at it, it will always cost a lot more to do individual heating. Heat cable would be your best bet. Depending on the size of the tubs your using would determine how many times the cable runs underneath them. I would assume you would want at least 3 passes underneath the tub. What you will do is lay down your foil tape (as wide as you want the heated portion of the tub. Then run the heat cable all the way across from end to end and then back again. Snaking it back and forth until you have as much heat under the tub that you want.

Im sorry if this doesnt make much sense I just woke up.

sammer021486

That makes perfect sense about snaking it back and forth as well as the cost.

For the size of the shelf and allowing for additional/extra/slop in the cable I will need a 52 ft heat cable from Zoo Med, including the factored in the cold lead loss. I would prefer mats and probably could go that way, but the cost difference is $40 more for the required mats. The bonus of the mat is 4 more tubs at my current measurements, plus I think a better distribution of heat. Draw back is that the shelf would have to be 4ft long and I do not want it to be that long of a shelf.

What I will probably do with the cable is get a roll of aluminum tape, maybe a thin sheet of foam like craft foam, place the foam down, then tape over it with the foil tape. Lay my cable, and tape over the cable to help disperse the heat over a larger area or maybe find some sheet metal and lay that over the cable.

I want to have the tubs not even touch the cable to prevent wear on the cable.

sammer021486

Forgot to ask do you think that by placing a thin foam, then the foil tape, cable and then a layer of foil again or sheet metal, will provide a fairly even and consistent heat across the area that is being heated?

Visit our friends