Heat cable where to buy

sammer021486

I have been looking into purchasing heat cable to heat my rack system because heat tape is not insured in Canada.

I would like to know if any one knows where I can purchase custom lengths of heat cable or if you know of places that sell the cable and you can make your own.

I have been looking at wrap-on's soil cable as it is the same as heat cable, just marketed for seed germination.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I like the Zoo-med heat cable which comes in various sizes. I usually get it on ebay. There is also a good price at lllreptile but I don't know about shipping to Canada.

Aliza

sammer021486

I like the Zoo-med heat cable which comes in various sizes. I usually get it on ebay. There is also a good price at lllreptile but I don't know about shipping to Canada.

Aliza

I like the Zoo Med cable too.
But I am hoping to use just one cable that would be 100ft long instead of two, although there is a benefit of using two in that if one dies you still have the other.

I have a 11.5ft Zoo Med one stuck in a Styrofoam cooler to make an incubator for my superworm beetles. In a 38L cooler and no regulation that cooler sits right at 88F. Tested it out yesterday and for 10 hours the cooler just sat at 88F. It actually held the temperature better than my hovabator, but I do not trust it with my eggs as the lid is ill fitting and I am afraid that it would pop off or leak if I had eggs in it.

Shera

I'd just get 2 of these. I'd be worried about using something in a way it wasn't intended to be used, couldn't that affect you home owners insurance?

sammer021486

I'd just get 2 of these. I'd be worried about using something in a way it wasn't intended to be used, couldn't that affect you home owners insurance?

I am not sure how it would affect the insurance, I have my agent looking into it atm.

Wrap-on is out anyways, I do not want to chance it with the insurance, because it says that the cable should not be used with terrariums and aquariums. Why, I am not too sure, because it is the same thing as heat cable. Probably because people buy the unregulated cables and hook them up, then cry faulty product when they cook their pet, because they did not regulate the cable.

Looks like I will be purchasing the Zoo Med cables, but if I can find a supplier that makes custom length heat cable, is CSA and UL approved, and can be used to heat a rack system, I would still like to find them.

I did find a supplier online that sells the 50ft heat cable for a very good price, but I am not in need of it right now, so there is still time to look.

Visit our friends