Heating in a wooden viv question

Geckolisa

My leo is currently in a glass tank,and i have the heatmat underneath the tank,and i get the temeratures perfect.I have just brought him a new 3ft wooden vivarium,and im stuck as to where to put the heatmat now?Inside or underneath the viv? :main_huh:

Knibitz

Pet Owner
My leo is currently in a glass tank,and i have the heatmat underneath the tank,and i get the temeratures perfect.I have just brought him a new 3ft wooden vivarium,and im stuck as to where to put the heatmat now?Inside or underneath the viv? :main_huh:

you should never put the heating element inside.
I'm not entirely about the construction of your vivarium, but I'd vote to still stick it on the bottom.

Someone else needs to back me up on this though.

NWA_JTV

Wood is an insulator, so sticking it to the underside (outside) is likely not going to get your temps where you want them. There are people that place their heaters inside, but you need to take precautions to be sure the element/mat doesn't get wet and that your pets can't come directly in contact with it. As to what will actually work to accomplish that, I have no experience, but someone else here probably can give you the specifics.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I think if you used ceramic tiles and placed the mat inside the cage and regulated with a thermostat, and were careful to keep the water dish at the opposite end of the cage and immediately cleaned up any spilled water, you would be ok. One thing you want to be sure of it to leave a bit of space between the mat and the tiles so that heat doesn't build up too much. Just a slight gap, you could probably use very thing wood or plastic spacers around the corners of the tile.

Geckolisa

I think if you used ceramic tiles and placed the mat inside the cage and regulated with a thermostat, and were careful to keep the water dish at the opposite end of the cage and immediately cleaned up any spilled water, you would be ok. One thing you want to be sure of it to leave a bit of space between the mat and the tiles so that heat doesn't build up too much. Just a slight gap, you could probably use very thing wood or plastic spacers around the corners of the tile.

Thanks,i will do that :main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends