Heating question.

Sikmike

Hello, first post, will be getting my AFT in the next week or so and had a few questions to be answered if possible please. I am trying to decide what type of heating to provide for 1 male living in a 15G tank.

I would like to use 2 lamps and not bother with heating pads. As I am imagining it, I would use a 75watt basking bulb on one side of the cage, and when night comes, turn that off, and have a 50watt red night bulb on the other side of the tank on until morning. This would all be done with timers etc.

Now that may be completely wrong, or half right. I'm getting impressions that they will not come out at all during the day to bask, and also getting the opposite responses from people. Can some owners please clarify this for me?

I really appreciate it, thanks friends.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Welcome to GF!

As far as heating goes... It is not the basking that is the problem, it is the fact that most lizards/geckos need belly heat to digest their food.
Now, I could be completely wrong with AFT, but I know that leopard geckos need do need belly heat, so a UTH is a must. I would assume that AFT's need them as well. So, my suggestion would be to just get a UTH for the 15G, along with a thermometer to check your temps (Leos temps should stay in the mid 90's. Again, check for AFT).
But, honestly, I dont see why using a UTH would be an issue. You dont have to worry about lights and whatnot. You just place under tank and generally leave it alone- Simple! =]

*Ok, I went and looked around in threads a little bit and as far as I can tell, Leo and AFT need the same type of heating/housing however, AFT's need more humidity. I think humidity is about the only different in their enclosure keeping? (Again could be wrong, I dont keep AFT's). But it looks like they need regular mistings as oppose to leos.

Last edited:

Sikmike

After doing more research on UTHs I guess there really not all that much pain! As far temperatures go, I would hope for example a Zoomed 8 watt UTH for my 15gallon tank would provide heat in the mid 90s on that side. This seems wise if that's the case. Then at night I wouldn't have to provide a secondary source aswell I suppose, just a personal viewing lamp that wouldn't disturb him if I get bored ha. Thanks for above response, just need UTH temperatures confirmed to feel 100% safe!

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I run 4 watt and 8 watt zoo med heat pads unregulated without a problem, but if they do get too hot you can always use a thermostat or rheostat to dial it back.

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
heating pads really are the way to go for fat tails. as long as you buy one that is size appropriate to your enclosure (if you have a twenty gallon, buy one that is made for a twenty gallon) then you should have no problem. just make sure you provide enough hides so that your gecko can choose where it wants to be. you should have at least a warm hide, a cool hide, and a humid hide.

for a fifteen gallon, i would probably buy a pad made for a ten gallon, then place the warm hide directly on top of the pad. dont forget that certain types of substrate will actually block the heat.

ive had african fat tails for about 9 years, and ive never seen one bask. i used to work in a reptile specialty store, and i have seen leos basking. but i have never seen fat tails bask.

to be honest if you see your aft out and about during the day, you should probably check to make sure something is not wrong with their enclosure. fat tails almost *never* come out during the day, unless they are very uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Sikmike

Fantastic. I was confused only because I used to own a Leo and watched her bask, thus giving me the lamp idea. So if I get the small heater that should stay on all the time I'm presuming? and maybe in the winter if it gets cold (gets very cold in Chicago) I could add a low watt lamp during the day. I obviously have had no experience with this, so my last question is, the UTH will provide ambient heat as well? and not just strictly to the floor? Thanks so much everyone.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
It probably won't be enough for Chicago winters, unless you keep your room pretty warm. You will most likely need a lamp for supplemental heat.

Bongo

Back-woods Gecko
So if I get the small heater that should stay on all the time I'm presuming? and maybe in the winter if it gets cold (gets very cold in Chicago) I could add a low watt lamp during the day. I obviously have had no experience with this, so my last question is, the UTH will provide ambient heat as well? and not just strictly to the floor?

Yes, if it does not get too hot, the UTH should always be kept on. It gets too cold here in MA for just a UTH, so I use a 50 watt heat bulb as well for my fat tails. The UTH is a proper heat source for AFT's, because the geckos strictly stay on the floor of the enclosure. The temperature should be measured on the floor of the enclosure.

Sikmike

Yeah Bongo thanks. I have bought all my equipment, just waiting for next check/show to buy my Fat-tail. I tested out the heat mat and it just didn't seem hot enough and didn't heat up surroundings well with a layer of 3 paper towels over it (trying to simulate repti-carpet which should be coming in mail soon). So I'll definitely supplement the enclosure with a 50watt infrared bulb. Or better yet a 40 or 60 watt ceramic bulb, no opinion on the red light at the moment...

Visit our friends