Heating your rack?

StopperExotics

Okay, so I have a dilemma. Flexwatt Heat Tape is not CSA Approved and therefore not legally attainable in Canada. What are other Canadians doing out there to heat their rack setups? I'm stumped and we're starting the build this weekend on a rack... Any help at all would be appreciated.

roger

Hi Natashya I sent u a pm about the diff morphs .if u use a a thermostat along with it the tape you'll will be fine.I bought a herpstat ND to protect my 42' of heat tape.any other questions you have my email addy.i could send u all the pics of my new rack

Last edited:

StopperExotics

You can also make a groove on the shelf and run heat cable through it. Works about the same. Not sure if you can get that in Canada though.

Thanks Maurice, I went to www.homedepot.ca and found this heat cable will this work fine? I'm going to go and check it out tomorrow evening.

roger said:
Hi Natashya I sent u a pm about the diff morphs .if u use a a thermostat along with it the tape you'll will be fine.I bought a herpstat ND to protect my 42' of heat tape.any other questions you have my email addy.i could send u all the pics of my new rack
Thanks Roger, I've received your email, and I will get back to you soon. :) I'd also love to see photos of your rack!

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
Lots of people really like heat cable, but I'm not one of them. I prefer heat tape because it's easier to use. If you can get some form of heat tape that legal in Canada, that's what I'd recommend.

roger

hi

i posted some pics on this part of gf the housing part.i also put pics on the Do it yourself section.let me know if u dont find it i'll send u as many pics as u want.your jsut down the road from me.as long as u use a good thermostat you will be fine with the heat tape.most of the breeders use heat tape.I redesigned my rack a hundred times to make sure the rack was done right.there a lot of snmall details u need to think of.It turned out perfect. if u go with the 4" heat tape i made a groove 5" wide and 1/8" deep so that my heat tape lays in so technically it's below the shelf.That way when u remove your tubs they are not scraping the the heat tape.

Last edited:

sammer021486

I guess that you will have to talk to Craig and see what he uses, but I agree with you on the heat tape and the insurance issue.

I would rather use heat cable, which is actually inferior to heat tape, in more than one way. I am guessing that because a lot of people would not regulate the heat tape with a thermostat and the risk of a fire is higher with unregulated and improperly wired heat tape that is why it is not CSA approved.

My plans for my rack are to place grooves in the melamine and lay the cable in the grooves, then overlay with foil tape to help disperse the heat more evenly. Too bad we could not have an electrical inspector inspect the tape and approve it for insurance.

The other option is to buy Ultratherm mats that are long and narrow and place one on each shelf.

StopperExotics

Thanks Sam! I think what we're going to do is make a stop at Home Depot and get the heat cable, and that's a great idea with the aluminum tape, I will suggest that to the man and see what he says. Sounds like a terrific idea.

It sucks, but like you said, if it's a question about whether or not my house insurance will be nullified, I have to say no to the heat tape. I'm thinking you're right about whether or not the heat tape is CSA approved, I'm thinking that because there is no way to regulate it; that they just decide it's best not to have it in use all together?

Thanks everyone!

sammer021486

let me know how that works. 50ft for $35 is a lot less then 50ft for $60 of Zoo Med heat cable.

I would recommend a GFI on your circuit after reading Warmly Yours' website on their heat products saying that their regulating product has a built in GFI to prevent shocks.

I am wondering if it is capable of heating to over 100F.

StopperExotics

What's a GFI Sam? I'm not terribly savvy when it comes to electricity terms, etc., (that's where the man comes in). I'm pretty excited to get the rack going, god knows we need to considering we've got about 2 weeks before we have some hatchlings!

sammer021486

What's a GFI Sam? I'm not terribly savvy when it comes to electricity terms, etc., (that's where the man comes in). I'm pretty excited to get the rack going, god knows we need to considering we've got about 2 weeks before we have some hatchlings!

A GFI protects against electrocution. It is a smart circuit breaker that monitors the flow of the current through the circuit, if the current is not correct the breaker trips cutting the flow of electricity.

A good example would be the good old Radio in the bathtub. Say you have your radio sitting on the shelf above you and your listening to your tunes and say your cat knocks the radio off of the shelf and into the tub. If your radio is not plugged into a GFI (aka GFCI) your nice a crispy.

Now say you did have your radio plugged into a GFI, you will probably get a shock but the GFI will sense that the flow of electricity is not correct and cut the circuit preventing you from becoming a piece of bacon.

I think that my explanation is correct.

sammer021486

That is correct. You should have GFCI outlets in your bathroom, they are the ones with test and reset buttons.

lol, glad that I explained it correctly. It is recommended that a GFI be used in any situation involving damp/wet locations.

The reason that Warmly Yours recommends a GFI on their heating cable is to prevent grounding from the cable breaking, because its intended purpose is to heat floors and there is the possibility for the cable to break while under the floor, causing a ground.

I have been reading up and the cable needs to make a complete circuit, it is not like heat cable where one end plugs in and the other is free.

I am guessing that it would be pretty easy to rig it up with a plug. Run the cable how you would like it to be ran through the rack. Then wire your cold leads back to the plug, from what the video instructor says the cable must be grounded to work, so a 3 prong plug is required. Then wire your plug up and plug er'in and watch the sparks fly,lol, jk.

roger

I heard that the heat cable stuggles to get warm enough 95-100 deg.Dont forget since the tub wont sit right on the cable u have to set your thermostat warmer to get the desired 95 deg on the surface of the tub.Arnt u running the same amount of risk running cable or heat tape.?? is there anyone using the same kind of heat cable u buy at home depot that can help with some suggestions.

Last edited:

sammer021486

I heard that the heat cable stuggles to get warm enough 95-100 deg.Dont forget since the tub wont sit right on the cable u have to set your thermostat warmer to get the desired 95 deg on the surface of the tub.Arnt u running the same amount of risk running cable or heat tape.?? is there anyone using the same kind of heat cable u buy at home depot that can help with some suggestions.

I have not had any trouble with my zoo med heat cable reaching 100F through 1/4" slate tiles.

Heat cable is more prone to hot spots and cable burns, but the way that I feel and I am thinking the way that Natashya feels, is that we would rather take our chances with the heat cable, rather than lose our insurance coverage if there ever is a hazard.

roger

I think the one Natashya is thinking about is the one thats bought from home depot the industrial one and not the reptile one.I would hate to see her install the one from home depot and find out it doesnt get hot .Natashya if u buy the one from home depot ask what their return policy is for the cable in case it needs to be returned.Whatever u decide I hope it works out.let us know when your done maybe u can post some pics.

Last edited:

Visit our friends