heating

calabarpythonlover2

Well I have been using a zoomed UTH for a while but i have noticed it doesnt even heat up which makes her not eat.So i got a 60 watt heat lamp from exo terra and am anxious to see how it works.But whenever you think about it a heat lamp can be a UTH because it will heat the ground and then the gecko will come out and get belly heat from the ground.So my question is,do you guys think a 60 watt exo terra light bulb will be able to heat her cage?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If the heat lamp can get the floor of the tank to the low 90's then it can. If not, it can't. Hopefully you have a thermometer. Here are some other things you can do, especially if the light is off at night:
--look into a ceramic heat emitter
--put foil over the UTH (so the UTH is sandwiched between the bottom of the tank and the foil; this increased the heat flow up into the cage
--if you have something like ceramic tile on the floor of the tank, remove the tile over the UTH and use paper towels
--check your UTH with a wattmeter if possible and see if it's putting out the wattage it needs to
--consider getting a UTH for the next size up, especially if you're using a 10-20 gallon UTH with a 20 gallon long tank.

ALiza

Visit our friends