Help me out with my new Tokay enclosure

john9721

Hello everyone! First time posting here. I've kept reptiles for the better part of my life, however I'm getting my first tokay gecko this Tuesday, and have a couple questions. First off, his enclosure is a Thrive 18x18x24 front door glass enclosure with 2 blocks of coco fiber as substrate. As of current, I'm having a hard time maintaining humidity levels. Temperature inside the enclosure is currently 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit, however humidity rarely rises above 55-60%. I have a few live vines and a plant, and I spray the terrarium down with water at least once a day (spray into the coco fiber, the walls and the d?cor) but it rarely seems to help the humidity. What's the secret? More misting? Adding a fogger/mister? I am home pretty frequently as I'm self employed, so misting most days won't be an issue, I just don't want to overdo it.

Secondly, I want to talk about live plants. Currently in the enclosure, I have a few Pothos vines, a few philodendron vines, and a aloe vera succulent planted in the substrate. Now, go easy on me, as this is my first time doing an enclosure with live plants. First off, are all of these safe to have in with a tokay? I know pothos can be toxic to cats and dogs, however I'm not sure about lizards, as everything I've read seems to suggest that they won't eat it to begin with. As far as the aloe vera plant goes, it seems that the leaves have some small barbs on them, they aren't over the top sharp, however it seems to be that it may be a cutting risk for the gecko (Roommate planted these while I was out, by the way. He meant very well, however I want to confirm the safety before the new guy shows up).

I am open to ANY suggestions and advice, like I said this is my first time doing higher humidity with live plants. Past experience has been a ton of leopard geckos, bearded dragons, ball pythons, large iguanas, etc. Thank you!!

Skybug

I would get rid of the aloe as with the humidity level you’re trying to achieve will most likely rot it, pothos should be fine tokays dont eat non moving objects lol (it is toxic though) . your humidity is actually fine the only thing id add to the substrate is a layer of “repti bark” to the top it will trap in moisture needed for higher night time levels , you didnt say anything about a drainage layer I’ll assume u dont have one? As well i put a bromeliad in my baby tokays tank and that might be worth looking into, if you can post a picture? I have card board cut outs with tape around them(so they dont soak up water) on top of my tank to trap in humdity.

Attachments

• 1E6810ED-9466-427F-89A4-937CA1D35683.jpeg
    1E6810ED-9466-427F-89A4-937CA1D35683.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Visit our friends