Help, please, on our little gecko

P

plecoperson

The little Jamaican stowaway is fading. It was eating well and had a good shed, poopin' up a storm, but hasn't eaten a thing for days. We have tried crickets, mini-mealworms and fruit flies. He has eaten the crickets and flies in the past, with relish.

He is looking thin, though not emaciated, and is sluggish. He is so tiny I don't think we have much time to get some calories into him. Any help would be appreciated.

P

plecoperson

Yes, a UTH and an incandescent bulb above the tank, keeping the warmest area around 85 degrees. Last night we removed the coconut fiber bedding and put repti-carpet back down, so we could see better if/what he's eating. We mist the tank a coupla times a day.

I noted last night that he is sitting with his throat puffed out a bit. I think the vet is in order tomorrow, but any husbandry help is appreciated.

These are the other threads on his ID and setup. Thank you, Marcia!

http://www.geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=6642
http://www.geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=6199

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
Someone can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. But it's an arboreal gecko species, right? If that's true, then show me a wooded area that reaches 85 degrees. I think that's too hot for this little one. I think the temp should be no more than high 70s (like 78) max. My suggestion would be to turn down the heat. Good luck with the Vet visit! :)

P

plecoperson

Yes, I think he's arboreal; we had kept the incandescent light on constantly 'cause our house is quite cool, but started turning it off at night a few days ago. I also raised it above the top of the tank further to cool it a little. Seemed a little warm for a tree in a forest to me, too!

Thanks for your input; hopefully we can get him sorted out with the cooler temps/lower at night and the vet. I suspect it's something we're doing wrong in caring for him. He came to us happy and healthy and then became unwell.

BalloonzForU

plecoperson said:
Yes, I think he's arboreal; we had kept the incandescent light on constantly 'cause our house is quite cool, but started turning it off at night a few days ago. I also raised it above the top of the tank further to cool it a little. Seemed a little warm for a tree in a forest to me, too!

Thanks for your input; hopefully we can get him sorted out with the cooler temps/lower at night and the vet. I suspect it's something we're doing wrong in caring for him. He came to us happy and healthy and then became unwell.

At least he found his way to you. Most likely would have died had he not been found.

Hopefully the lower temps will help.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
plecoperson said:
we had kept the incandescent light on constantly 'cause our house is quite cool, but started turning it off at night a few days ago. I also raised it above the top of the tank further to cool it a little. Seemed a little warm for a tree in a forest to me, too!.

Turning off the light at night will definitely help. And the distance thing is a good idea too. You could put a timer on the light also, then you wouldn't have to worry about turning it on and off. But I think regulating the temp to the upper 70s during the day with a little decrease at night is going to most likely lower the gecko's stress level a fair amount. And this could be the whole reason why its activities have changed so much.

plecoperson said:

We all have to start learning somewhere, so don't be too hard on yourself. Let us know how the Vet visit works out for you guys! :)

P

plecoperson

Thanks to all-

Yes, I am thinking we were cooking him....I put a cricket in there and he lunged at it. Missed it, but this is the first time he's been interested in eating in quite a while.

I will post an update shortly-cross your sticky toes for us!

P

plecoperson

Crap.

He's checking out. We weren't able to get a vet appt until Monday, and I am sure he won't make it. Never did eat anything. Now he appears to be shedding (just what he needs at this point.)

I know he's just a "found gecko", but it's frustrating that he was eating and doing well, and is now dying. I could understand and accept if he never ate, being wild and having made a trip in cargo, but this is just depressing.

UPDATE 10:39 PM

RIP, Bob. We tried.

P3230004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

plecoperson

Yeah, he died last night. We buried him in our gigantic ficus's pot...is that weird? :)

He was a nice little guy. Thanks.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
I don't think that's weird at all! :main_no:

I guess that whatever was wrong had progressed too far to help the little guy. Chances are the Vet couldn't have helped him either.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I'm sorry the little Jamaican refugee didn't make it. Sometimes it's difficult when wild geckos are kept captive, but you did the best you could. RIP little buddy...

Visit our friends