HELP PLS!! How to seperate cage????

Awelliver7

So I'm having a baby in september! YAY! problem! I'm still in my very small apt. and have wayyy too many cages with wayy to few of geckos in them and need to consolidate to make room for baby stuff. It seems like none of them get along so I have them all seperated! I have what I think is a 30gal. with only one little guy in it! LOL and I want to seperate it into two sides so I can put my three that get along on the other side....How should I do this??? I don't want it to be perminate either, and I dont like the flimsy looking plastic aquarium seperators that I'd be spending 10 bucks on and dont know if they'd knock it down. I dont really want my males seeing eachother through the wholes either. WHAT DO I DO? I was thinking about taking a side from a cardboard box and cutting it to fit in the middle of the tank and "splicing the edges" on each side so they kinda for hold it in the middle. Don't know if I explained it well enough but do you think that would work? I could even tape it to each side of the glass if I have to. I just need it to last for several months till we get a new apt. and I have more room again. Who know if it works well enough I might just leave it as is....please any suggestions?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Half of a 30 gallon is too small for 3 geckos. In general if you want to divide a tank, get a piece of plexiglass cut to fit. Cover the plexiglass with contac paper so the geckos can't see through it. Here are some other solutions:

--keep the 3 geckos in the 30 gallon and get a 10 gallon for the single gecko
--sell your tanks. Go to glasscages.com and get 2 stacking, front opening tanks
--get the largest faunarium from one of the pet stores whose name starts with "P". The biggest ones are about 17"x14"x6". Get a mini heater (1-5 gallons) with a thermostat and keep your single gecko in there for the few months you need to do that.

Good luck with the geckos and the baby.

Aliza

Awelliver7

So what I ended up doing....I used cardboard like I said I was thinking about. I bent both ends that goes against the glass and sqeezed it into just about the middle. Then put down the sand and decorations and it looks awesome!! It is a bit small right now but it will do just fine for the next couple of months. I have two adults on one side and one adult and two juveniles on the other. They seem super happy! They're in the tank closest to the floor so the now they get to see the dogs walk by once and a while and they seem to love the entertainment!

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
I agree that sand generally should not be used with juveniles, but I am more worried about you housing juveniles and adults in the same side of the enclosure. Leopard geckos of varying sizes should *never* be housed together, as they may fight amongst one another, or the largest of the group may hog all the food or hiding spots.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I agree that it's not a good idea to house juveniles with adults, but I have done fine housing breeding groups together where the male outweighs some of the females by a lot.

Aliza

Visit our friends