Help with AFT hatchling

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I hatched my first AFT on 6/11. I've been breeding leos for a few years. Until recently it's been doing really well. It's housed in a rack by itself. I've been careful to provide it with a big more humidity than the leos. I've been feeding it dusted crickets, with a small milk bottle cap of Repashy's calcium plus since I'm not always sure the crickets are maintaining their dusting. Until a few days ago it was eating all the crickets and was active. About 3 days ago it went into shed and wasn't eating much. Last night it completed its shed and this morning it seems very weak and lethargic (not just because it's day time and it's sleeping). Compared to my next 2 AFT's, born just a few days ago, its tail looks pretty thin.

I don't know if this one just wasn't meant to survive (not that it can't be turned around), or if my AFT hatchling husbandry is off. I did give it some calcium plus mixed with water which it licked off its mouth on the chance that it hasn't gotten enough supplement. The rack has back heat set at 92 and it's been pretty hot in New England anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions, especially if there's an aspect of care I'm missing?

ALiza

ark

Sounds like you do everything right, is it still weak? Could be a bit tiering for it to do the shed. Hope it comes back to it former self again :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
She does seem to be doing better. I'm being more diligent about the humidity. I think I just got her at a low moment the other day. I put 4 crickets in last night and by this afternoon 3 were gone, so I think she's going to be OK. Thanks. I'm just not yet used to the AFT hatchling level of energy compared to the leo hatchling patterns.

ALiza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
lets get some pics!

I'll see what I can do later this week. I do have a picture of her earlier before she stopped eating here:http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=45093. Her tail is thinner than this picture. I have been pretty much forcing her to eat 1-2 mealworms a night (assisted feeding, not stuffing them down her throat). It's working because her tail is actually getting fatter and she's pooping. I'm using mealworms because it is nearly impossible to push the crickets near her mouth without them getting pulverized. Tonight I didn't make her eat in the hopes that she'll get interested in the crickets. The other two, born a few weeks ago, are doing better.

ALiza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It was actually my first AFT hatchling that had the problem. (the one I sold you was my fourth and youngest). A few weeks after I posted that, it started eating and did fine. It's not unusual for a gecko in a new environment to stop eating for awhile.

Aliza

Visit our friends