Homemade cage

L

ludothegreat

Ok so after introducing myself I went into lurk mode :) But I decided to post this because everyone here seems to have great advice to give and seem very nice. My girlfriend and I have obviouly gotten the reptile bug and plan on getting a few more than my current leo. So I designed a cage and we started working on it. The top two sections will be for my current leo and the one we are getting from garrik at crestedgecko.com later this week. The other two we arnt quite sure what to get. I'd like to get a cresty and possibly a dart frog or two for the other section.

I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on what to do to help keep the moisture out of the wood on the bottom two tanks if this is what we decide to go with. Both animals require more humidity than leo as far as I know and Im worried about moisture getting into the wood and destroying the wood. All cracks are sealed with paintable silicone calking and every surface is covered in a water proof polyurethane. Is this going to be enough to keep the moisture out of the wood?

Heres pictures of the cage being built. All that is left to do is add the glass doors to the front and then set the cages up for each animal.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LudoTheGreat/Cage/

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
Wow, that cage looks awesome, Trent. I've never built a cage out of wood, just racks. I was worried about moisture bothering the wood, so I applied several (4-5) coats of poly to all surfaces and that seems to be doing the job. I can't remember what type of poly it was, but it was the same stuff that I used on the bay window over a year ago. We put seven heavy coats on, and so far I have been unsuccessful at damaging the wood, even when I over-water the plants and standing water sits on the wood for a few days. lol

L

ludothegreat

Thank you paul! Maybe I'll pick up another thing of poly and put it on there just to be safe.

Michael thanks for the comments! Its great to hear what others think about it.

Visit our friends