Housing Question

trigger1121

I'm a total noob at this so don't bash me too hard for the questions. I built an enclosure for a Mali Uromastyx I used to own a few years ago. The enclosure is 48"L x 17"W x 16"T. My first question is if this is too big for a Leopard Gecko? Second question is how do you recommend I heat this? For the Uro, I want to say I used a 100w basking lamp and a 75w red nocturnal lamp with a UV flourecent light inside.

2010-11-07-17-55-38-736.jpg

0829072039.jpg

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
No such thing as too much room. ;) I'd say a leopard gecko would really enjoy the space.

As far as heating goes, you can try a couple of routes. You could try putting a heat pad under the tile, as attached to the outside I don't think it would maintain temps through the wood. You could also use a lamp or a ceramic heat emitter. You don't want a basking bulb, leos are nocturnal and don't like bright lights. UVB also isn't necessary. A red bulb would work, whatever method you choose, you want a 90F warm area on the floor with a cool end for a temp gradient. Leos don't need it nearly as hot as Uromastyx do, so less wattage would be the way to go.

trigger1121

Thanks for the quick reply! Is the heating mat or the heat emitter a better option? I want to go all out and do it right. Also I was thinking about putting carpet down over the tile. Yes or No? I was thinking that the carpet would ease the cleaning processes.

Jordan

carpet is your own personal preference i suppose. But a UTH and maybe a light would be fine to get a good temp and gradient.

However in that size of enclosure i'd recommend an adult. Massive emounts of space can be very daunting to hatchlings and small leo's.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I'd say the heat mat would be the better route for a leopard gecko. Personally, I don't like repticarpet, I find it easy for leo claws to get caught in it, I just do paper towels if it were me.

Yeah an adult would be a good idea, it is a little big for a baby.

roger

IMO that is way too big for a leo.Leos sometimes need to have 4 walls surrounding them making them feel secure..I found leos that have a huge enclosure don't run after their prey in a big enclosure,they give up.if u insist on that big of an enclosure have a lot of hides for the leo

trigger1121

Okay I have three tiles in the enclosure now. two are 18" long and the end one is cut to fit. If I do a UTH and a red heat lamp, where do I put the UTH? The light has to go on the left side because that's where the cut out is. Do I put the UTH on the same side, more in the middle or opposite side of light? Can you also recommend some wattages too? Thanks

It wouldn't take much for me to add a divider in the tank to shrink it down until the Leo gets bigger. Like I said, I want to do this right.

GeckoGurl

My Leo is in a 40 gallon long tank and loves it... she can roam around and climb more. She has been in the tank since a hatchling. Just makes sure you have good hides. I have never had a problem with her hunting. I actually prefer at least a slightly bigger tank. She just got lucky cause I got a killer deal on the tank! As far as carpet I think I would stick to tile. I have also heard bout them getting claws caught but also heard that carpet can hold a lot of bacteria (which makes sense). Either way I think most is a matter of opinion and what we like or works best for us.

Insubordinate

Okay, I have a tank just about the same size as yours (48x18x18) with tile in the tank as well. I have a UTH on one side with a 100w red light (or whatever light you find hits 90F on the tile top) facing directly in the middle of the tank. The other side is a cool side that has the water/food. I have a total of 5 hides total (one being a humid hide) from hot side to cold side. My two adult leos love it (and the temps are perfect for them to self regulate)! You can see my tank here.

Jordan

personally i reckon that would be too big for a small leo but an adult shouldnt find it as daunting and stressful. But its completely up to you since youve seen a few different opinions.

But my opinion is that it is way too wide open and big for a leo to feel secure in. Especially at a young age, and if you do get a hatchling you should use a divider.
And if you do a get an adult, after a couple of months you could maybe get another if you wish as the tank is probably big enough for 2 - 4 leos.

trigger1121

Is the problem with the tank size how bare it looks? I just threw what I had in a box in there. I'll be purchasing hides and decorations to make it as close to a natural habitat ad I can.

Also would it be better to introduce two Leos at once to reduce stress?

-Craig

Jordan

Is the problem with the tank size how bare it looks? I just threw what I had in a box in there. I'll be purchasing hides and decorations to make it as close to a natural habitat ad I can.

Also would it be better to introduce two Leos at once to reduce stress?

-Craig

the problem is with the size. But there are mixed views on it. Some people say too much space is daunting and stressful others say the more space the better.

And kind of... however if you purchase two new leos they need to be quarantined from each other for a minimum of two months.
But when you do introduce them then yes its better to introduce them both in neutral ground.

So.. if you buy one leo, to put in that tank, then another, keep the new one seperate for 2 months as quarantined, when you know its healthy, clean out the big tank and re arrange it, then it will seem like a new home to the first gecko then put them both in.

Daedric1

Thanks for the quick reply! Is the heating mat or the heat emitter a better option? I want to go all out and do it right. Also I was thinking about putting carpet down over the tile. Yes or No? I was thinking that the carpet would ease the cleaning processes.

Carpet is a bacteria factory and I would avoid it for that reason. Like said earlier, their claws and teeth can get stuck in it while walking or hunting. Tile is much easier to clean and more natural looking anyway.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
If you want to get a hatchling, just pick up a 10 gallon tank and raise the gecko up in that. Once it hits 6-7 inches it can be moved to that size enclosure. Hides are obviously important. Personally, I don't feel that there's such a thing as "too much space"for these geckos in the long run, any size enclosure from 20 gallons to 200 gallons is going to be useable space for the animal, as long as it has the environment to feel secure. Lots of hides, things to climb over, and I might even consider multiple food dishes if you choose to feed mealworms in a dish just so it's easier for the animal to find it. The main reason raising a baby in a smaller enclosure is a good idea is that it's much easier for it to find food and water and to monitor and be sure it is eating and drinking ok. When I get new animals in they go into smaller, bare bones quarantine setups and spend 90 days in there. Once I am sure they are eating, drinking, and parasite/disease free, they are moved to larger, permanent homes. The same goes for babies; they are raised in small setups then moved to larger homes once they reach a certain size.

GeckoGurl

I agree on there never being too much space... I am not as experienced in all of this but I do know that with providing sufficient hides and such that my fist Leo (purchased as a hatchling) did well in her 40 gallon long tank (36Lx16hx18w) So it would seem to me that it is more of a matter of preference. As long as the geckos needs are all met and you can take care of the larger enclosure than why not? I did not use more than one food dish (which is a good idea) but I did however use larger dishes, she has a big water dish in the middle of the tank and when I switched her to mealies I hand fed her then showed her I had another and dropped it in the dish to show her that where they go. It seemed to work lol or maybe its just me. I will also add that I do every once in a while use a red heat bulb on top to regulate heat if my house gets too chilly.

Visit our friends