Housing two males in a split tub?

artiogarde

I have two male leopard geckos, Phil and Herb.

Herb is older and larger:

11426335_1414683962190458_8854405779750537573_n.jpg

Phil is younger and smaller:

5.jpg

I have a rather large (I think 116 qt) tub that I've split by cardboard down the middle.
Herb's side is on the left, Phil's the right.
11355431_1418811155111072_1586343240_n.jpg

I made sure that neither of the boys could fit under the divider and get to the other side. They each have a heat mat, plenty of hiding spaces (warm and cool), humid hides (Herb's is hidden under cardboard hides), calcium, and water. They each get a bowl of mealworms that they sometimes pick from and they also get crickets a few times a week.

This evening I decided to introduce them on neutral ground and see if they got along. It didn't go well. Neither are hurt but they both had a go at each other.

My question is, will they get stressed living in a divided tub? Can they smell each other and will it make them be on edge?

Ruvik

They may get stressed seeing as male's do mark their area with their scent and smelling another male so close may stress them out. I would look into getting another tub and splitting the two up. That way they have their own little areas to mark away from each other. There is also a risk of one of them trying to climb over and knocking the divider over which would them set them up for a really bad fight. I don't like to risk anything when it comes to my geckos so I would get two different tubs to put them in asap.

indyana

At the very least, I would make a better divider than cardboard and seal with something like silicone sealant if you need to divide a tub, but honestly, it would be easier to purchase two smaller tubs (unless they are sharing a very large heat mat).

warhawk

For the price a 28qt tub I would just set up a new home.

Right now maybe no one is climbing to the other side but you keep them in a small area with nothing to do but look for a way to get out they will find a way.

Both geckos look very nice.

Visit our friends