How do you guys set up your leo hatchling tubs?

Reptile Barbie

I have a 6 females breeding this season so i'm going to get lots of babies!

Last season i had a problem with shedding.
Can you tell me how you guys set up your hatchling tubs? Maybe some pictures as well? Id really like to see how you tie in the humid hide in the small tubs too!

Thanks guys!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I only use tubs for overflow since I prefer to be able to see my geckos (and for them to see me and to be used to glass enclosures since that's most likely what they'll be living in when they are sold). For the ones in tubs I don't bother with a humid hide since the small, warm tubs are probably as humid as they need to be (I mist the fat tail hatchlings occasionally). Each 6qt. tub has a hide for each gecko, a small water dish and food dish for mealworms and a bottle cap with calcium. The mealworms tend to go all over the tub but that's not really a problem. I keep the hides toward the back where the heat is and the food/water towards the front. I try not to put the food right next to the water since otherwise the mealworms will crawl into the water dish and drown.

Most of my babies are in front opening 20-long tanks divided into 3 sections.

Aliza

Mich

I keep my hatchlings in totes, with papertowel for substrate. I VERY lightly mist the papertowel in one corner and one side of the tote from time to time until the first shed. I drill plenty of holes for ventilation .. I also have a tiny water dish but I always see them licking the water off the side of the tote during the first few days. After that as long as the hot end isn't too hot they seem to shed just fine for the 6wks I keep them, I don't use a moist hide in the totes either, just food/water dishes and a pop bottle cap for calcium. I did have small little cream cheese containers with moss in some larger totes but like acpart said there is enough humidity and I found there was too much with the moist hide in such a small area.

ajveachster

We use the iris tubs in our racks. They each get a paper towel in the bottom. We use deli cups turned upside down with a hole cut in the side for hides. They get put in the back by the heat. A front corner gets a small water bowl. Then there is a bowl placed in there around the middle for supplements. We usually start off with crickets because they are the most active feeder, then switch to worms which get tossed in the supplement bowl. Aliza is right, the worms usually end up all over the floor. It seems the babies like it that way a lot of times. It doesn't bother me as long as they eat. Typically just mist the paper towel when needed for shedding.

Visit our friends