How Hot is too hot for the hotside?

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I know everyones probably going to yell at me here, but I dont have a thermostat on any of my Zoo Med UTH heaters. So I was just wondering how hot is too hot? If it was too hot for them, wouldnt they just move over to the cool side? I have shelf liner as my "substrate" in 4 aquariums, and sand in another (I know its controversial, and I am careful with feeding). So if there is something sheilding them from the hot glass, how can they get burned? Is 110 too hot for inside the hot hide?

MiamiLeos

110 is WAY too hot. The way they burn themselves isnt like toutching a hot stove, its slowly, like a sunburn. So they can lay there and feel ok, but then you will realize that their bellies have actually been burnt. I would not go hotter than 95, and to me, that's pushing it. I keep mine between 88-92. You can get a cheap thermostat (ZooMed makes a decent one, I think its yellow) at about any pet store and a rheostat to controll the heat for around $10 at Home Depot or a similar store. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
110 is WAY too hot. The way they burn themselves isnt like toutching a hot stove, its slowly, like a sunburn. So they can lay there and feel ok, but then you will realize that their bellies have actually been burnt. I would not go hotter than 95, and to me, that's pushing it. I keep mine between 88-92. You can get a cheap thermostat (ZooMed makes a decent one, I think its yellow) at about any pet store and a rheostat to controll the heat for around $10 at Home Depot or a similar store. Hope this helps :)

Can I put them all on the same thermostat, or do I have to buy one for each tank?

Taquiq

JK Herp
You can get a power strip and plug it into the rheostat and then plug in as many cords as you need.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD

Just an FYI for everyone, I went to Home Depot today literally 15 minutes after this response and bought 3 rheostats, for all the different rooms that they are kept in. Thanks alot for the quick info. Just so I know, what would it look like if their belly was burned? Does it heal?

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Oh...and do I measure the hot side temps inside the hot hide, or out side the hot hide, Im putting the thermometer inside the hot hide at the moment.

Taquiq

JK Herp
Inside the hot hide. As long as it is over the heating source it should be fine. But since they spend a lot of time on the hot side in the hot side hide I would put it there.

MiamiLeos

Glad to hear you got the equipment! Your leos will thank you for it. As for the burning, if you turn them over and the skin on their bellies is pink or red, they were probably on the hot side too long. It will heal, you might notice some slight scabbing and dryness of the injured area as this happens. Just make sure they have a nice moist hide to soothe their skin. When you measure the temps, place the probe on the floor of the hot side directly over the UTH, preferably towards the middle of it (they can have a "hot spot" there). That will give you the best reading :)

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Glad to hear you got the equipment! Your leos will thank you for it. As for the burning, if you turn them over and the skin on their bellies is pink or red, they were probably on the hot side too long. It will heal, you might notice some slight scabbing and dryness of the injured area as this happens. Just make sure they have a nice moist hide to soothe their skin. When you measure the temps, place the probe on the floor of the hot side directly over the UTH, preferably towards the middle of it (they can have a "hot spot" there). That will give you the best reading :)

OK, Good, luckily no one has gotten burned. Everything is under control now:main_thumbsup:
So what exact temp range is optimal for the hot side?

MiamiLeos

I keep mine at 90, give or take a degree. Some keep them warmer, but I'v found this temp to work best for me because even if the temp rises a few degrees due to ambient air factors, I'm still not within the burning range. I would not suggest going above 95 for this reason, jmo :)

slayer

I provide ambient air temps on the hot side in the mid to high 90'sF and a daytime basking surface of 105F-110F, all of which is used. Anything higher would go unused.

Last edited:

slayer

For leos you do this?
.......... Yesser :main_thumbsup:
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=55283
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=61020
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=61889
100_0100.jpg

000_0003-5.jpg

Last edited:

MiamiLeos

Ok, so you can see how different opinions stand with just about everything related to leo husbandry lol you just have to choose what you're most comfortable with.

Visit our friends