How is this looking..

does it look good

• Total voters

Drew Williamson

This is my new enclosure for a crested gecko. I used yarn for the vines and a coke bottle for decoration. Just wanted some opinions. P5270367.JPG

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Looks like a good start! Most importantly, how does your gecko like it??

kouneli

Why the coke bottle? Is it open? Why the yarn? A crestie can easily get tangled in that. You need more branches/vines for the crestie to climb on, as it's looking rather sparce.

Drew Williamson

the coke bottle is too make it look like it spilled into the water and it is open but its only 1/2 centimeter open it cant get in and the yarn is to be vines but i dint have any so... i just got creative:)

kouneli

Ok, I see the coke bottle idea...clever :). As for the yarns...well, I'd take them out. You can even go outside and get branches cut, make sure there's no sap. Wash as much as possible off of the branches. Bake the branches in the oven at 250*F for 15 minutes. Or you can look on craigslist for cheap/free reptile supplies.

Khenut

I think you should focus more on putting higher plants and trees in the tank, rather than ground cover. Suction cup plants don't work all too well by themselves. Magnaturals is a great brand, and those plants are very sturdy and well made. A little more expensive but it's worth it. They also have hoops in the vines you can put the suction cup plants in to fill it out. Good luck! :)

Geckomaster743

The Bottle is dangerous, I heard about a Dog that suffocated in a Small Lays Ship bag. He was a big dog. The thing is if you want to take the risk you can but if he even gets his face stuck in there he could die.

Khenut

You should technically shoot for the most natural of an environment as possible for your herps. Obviously not everyone can afford buying a bazillion decorations, as they're pretty pricey. But try to at least replicate their natural habitat. Cresties thrive in trees. Quite the opposite of a Leopard Gecko, which your tank looks more adjusted to. But so long as you give it plenty of places to climb and hide, it should be fine.
So look into maybe some branches that give him access to climb. Even bamboo works, and it's pretty cheap for a plant (live or not).
As far as fake plants go, it's not necessarily any old plant that'll do. Make sure it is one with many leaves and coverings, as they enjoy plenty of darkness when they sleep in the day. I've seen some neat magnetic hides that you can even put onto the glass. Something to shoot for- I'm saving up for one. :)

41LXPxY0l7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here are some Magnatural products. They can be a bit pricey, so I don't recommend dishing out the cash for all of them. Look into some tutorials and see if you could make something similar. Your Crestie will thank you. :)

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I've never heard of Magnatural, but those look neat! I've got a fake mushroom ledge glued to the wall with silicon glue; magnets would have been much more convenient. May have to try one of those some day.

You don't have to spend a bunch to spoil your geckos. I've used branches from my backyard, cut to fit the tank. Just bake at 250 for about 30min to sterilize. I get most of my plants at the dollar store. I clean with bleach, rinse very well, and air dry to make sure they're safe. Aquarium decorations tend to cost less than reptile-specific supplies, but still work fine for a gecko. I would also recommend the fake bendable vines that they sell in stores; I have some of those screwed into the screen tops of my cages that my cresties LOVE to climb on. Just some ideas...

Khenut

They sell a few on Amazon.com every so often. I haven't been able to find any sold at the local petstores or Petsmart/Petco. They really do rock though. I have the clear plastic magnetic holder for my Crested Gecko's food and she loves it. It's very sturdy too, so if you're worried about it falling- don't be. Unless your Crested ways like 10 lbs. lol

Visit our friends