How to eliminate gecko smell?

bigeddie

Rookie
Hey, I just got a leopard gecko a couple days ago and have a question about the smell. I know that the gecko itself has no smell, but there cage does if not cleaned. I try to clean the feces out every day. I am moving to college in a few weeks and I don't want any odor at all. I might get use to the smell and not notice it, but visiting friends might. Is there a product that will absorb the smell. I dont want to use air freshener to cover it up, I want to absorb it. I have hear of using baking soda, but where would i put it and is there a better product to use.

Thanks

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Gecko poop smells when it's fresh, but really has little odor when it's dried up. What are you feeding your gecko? Crickets and cricket frass really stinks.

bigeddie

Rookie
I'm feeding meal worms. I'm thinking of getting a small hanging baking soda bag to put at the top of my cage where my gecko cant reach it.

fl_orchidslave

It's not safe to put any kind of deodorizer in your gecko's enclosure. They have been known to do ninja like stunts :) You might try using a bit of paper towel in the potty corner and removing it when soiled. A cleaning solution that has a pleasant, fresh fragrance that's animal friendly, is Healthy Habitat.

gmaier19

i use healthy habitat, it works for me.

i'd be wary of using anything that produces ozone though, as it is a pollutant and lung irritant. long story short its beneficial in the upper atmosphere because of the filtering of harmful UV rays from the sun but its considered detrimental to human health at ground level.

beejet

The smell could be caused by the substrate you are using because something like repti carpet can keep the smell in for a while. I used to have repti carpet and it smelled even after the feces was removed, but when i switched to tile and the smell basically completely left after removing the feces.

Visit our friends