How to increase cold side temperatures

Spots

My cold side temps is at...65F. the temp here dropped significantly as all of a sudden it went from one day of summer to winter the next day. Any ideas how I can raise it?

Also, the cold weather now affects the hot side floor temp too. It sometimes goes down to 80F..with a high of around 90..but more consistantly at 85F (all day time temps). I have both a UTH and a heat lamp. With these new guys, I switched to tile so I've never really had this heating problem before. If I put the next size bulb on, the heat goes to a whooping 110F (don't worry, I took them out to test the bulb first). I think the hot side needs to a tad higher (90-95 is what I would like to get to) because last night, it got really cold and one of the babies threw up after eating, which may or may not be because of the temps not helping them digest? May try the tin foil that Aliza mentioned in some other threads.

Most important is the beginning question...how to raise the temp of the cold side since I can't really put a light on it because then that would make it a warm side? lol

p.s I'm putting plastic on my windows this weekend so hopefully the room will be a bit warmer which might help:main_thumbsup:

Skydiver Keith

Get .5 or .75 inch foil backed foam board from your local home improvement store. Cut out a piece that fits under the enclosure foil side up so that it sits tight against the UTH/bottom glass.

Keep in mind that I don't recomend doing this unless you have a thermostat to kill the UTH if necessary.

Also, if you are using a full screen top, replace it with only partialy vented glass panels, insulate the top with foam board, etc.

Obviously, the best option would be to heat the whole room, get the enclosure temps right, and keep the room that temp year round. Although this may not be practical for you.

You may also consider insulating the rear of the enclosure with foam board.

Not only will insulation help maintain the enclosure temps, but it will save money on electric year round by reducing...

1) the amount of heat that escapes the tank and has to be cooled in the summer.

2) the high temperature you have to keep the room in the winter.

roger

My cold side temps is at...65F. the temp here dropped significantly as all of a sudden it went from one day of summer to winter the next day. Any ideas how I can raise it?

Also, the cold weather now affects the hot side floor temp too. It sometimes goes down to 80F..with a high of around 90..but more consistantly at 85F (all day time temps). I have both a UTH and a heat lamp. With these new guys, I switched to tile so I've never really had this heating problem before. If I put the next size bulb on, the heat goes to a whooping 110F (don't worry, I took them out to test the bulb first). I think the hot side needs to a tad higher (90-95 is what I would like to get to) because last night, it got really cold and one of the babies threw up after eating, which may or may not be because of the temps not helping them digest? May try the tin foil that Aliza mentioned in some other threads.

Most important is the beginning question...how to raise the temp of the cold side since I can't really put a light on it because then that would make it a warm side? lol

p.s I'm putting plastic on my windows this weekend so hopefully the room will be a bit warmer which might help:main_thumbsup:

what is your room thermostat on your wall read? I keep my furnace set for 70 deg?the easiest thing to do is buy a cheap floor heater if your room is cold

Spots

I don't have a room thermostat lol but the house thermostat is usually at 20C/70F in the winter..my room being slightly lower since the duct work to my room is not efficient.

I don't mind having a chillier room temperature but the gecko temperature is what concerns me. I'm keeping my eye on it and maybe I'll Keith's suggest as well.

Thanks for your help :) Any other ideas will be helpful as well

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Another suggestion would be to use the higher wattage bulb and just get a cheap light dimmer at walmart. It will reduce the output of the bulb so you can adjust it down to the proper temp.

Personally, I don't worry too much about cold side temps. My house temp is regularly 65-70 at night in the winter and the geckos do fine. As long as the warm side is warm enough, 90-95F, they will thermoregulate themselves by spending a bit more time on the warm side, then moving to the cool end when they get warm enough.

Spots

Another suggestion would be to use the higher wattage bulb and just get a cheap light dimmer at walmart. It will reduce the output of the bulb so you can adjust it down to the proper temp.

Personally, I don't worry too much about cold side temps. My house temp is regularly 65-70 at night in the winter and the geckos do fine. As long as the warm side is warm enough, 90-95F, they will thermoregulate themselves by spending a bit more time on the warm side, then moving to the cool end when they get warm enough.

Oh...never thought of the dimmer. I read that somewhere on one of these forums but totally went over my head.
I'll try that for the warm side

As for the cold, I'll just keep watching. It's a temp gradient anyways right so if they want the cold around 75..they can just sit inbetween the hot and cold right? lol

Thanks!

Visit our friends