How to tell your Leopard Gecko is way too fat!

WoWo

2014-02-11+22-03-16+%255B1600_900%255D.JPG

I think i've read this somewhere quite a long time ago : when your leopard gecko is/get too fat, the skin making junction between forelegs & body will get swollen and a little air pouch appear. Well that seems to be true..! What do you think about it?

2014-02-11+22-02-07+%255B1600_900%255D.JPG

lisa127

Both of my leo's have that, and neither one is as fat as this one. The older one is chunkier than the younger one, who also has those.

LeopardGeckoMom

I think it may be over absorption of calcium, I have read about that happening... I'm sorry for not knowing more!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

DrCarrotTail

From what I understand the pouches are from calcium reserves not obesity. Fat geckos look...well...fat. They should have a sleek more or less athletic look to them, especially the males. Right before the breeding season starts I let mine get a bit chunkier but not super fat. You gal looks like she could possibly be a bit on the heavy side but not super obese. I'd keep her about the weight she is and move her down to a maintenance diet if she's not breeding. I feed my gals that are about 70g no more than 4-6 super worms or dubia or 30-40 mealworms per week to maintain their weight. Males I feed about 2/3 that amount as they seem to eat a lot less in general. I like mine to be hungry when I open their bins so I can see immediately that they're active and healthy :)

WoWo

DrCarrotTail where'd you get that info that these pouches would be calcium reserves..? Honestly that sounds weird (and weirder than the other thing) to me... And she doesn't got the athletic look! They had a short reunion tonight, check the pic below (male's at the right/middle position) ;) As said she's way smaller but also fatter :

2014-02-11+21-55-52+%255B1600_900%255D.JPG

WoWo

The other doesn't seem to have it and trust me they're healthy... Video's here just in case.

[video=youtube;dpunvpzZ8A0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpunvpzZ8A0[/video]

DrCarrotTail

I'm at work and don't have access to my books at home to cite from but here's a website that provide some info on what they are:

Leopard Gecko Armpits

I'll hunt around in Ron Trempers books when I get home to see if I can find the other passages I've read :)

WoWo

As this pages says, it may be calcium but also fat ;) And i'm certain my gecko aren't over licking the calcium... I'm certain it's fat ;) Anyway i'll wait to hear what you found in those books, thanks!

DrCarrotTail

With mine the bubbles seem to almost be air. No fat or anything in them. I don't know who wrote that page but it seemed to have reasonable info in it. I'll definitely check in the books when I get home in a few hours. Wish I was there now instead of trapped at this desk!! Haha

WoWo

The bubble look like air pouch as i said, that's right. I personnally don't think they contain something. Just when the gecko gets too fat, it inflate somehow... That's my theory!

sweetgecko

The sac under the Leopard Geckos armpit is a fluid filled sac, it is like an overflow of what they can't store in their tail.
I took Aamira to the vet and he said it is excess calcium fluid. The vet took a needle and extract the liquid to relieve the discomfort.
Aamira is a very healthy eater, she is a bit of a porker tho, lol, and needs to lose a few grams by cutting down on mealworms, phoenix worms and crickets to only 8 every other week and get moving around/walking more. She is suppose to weigh 85 grams.

Last edited:

Visit our friends