How well do they do in the dark?

fifthdawn

I have quite a few reptiles so my pets are usually located all over the house. The only reptiles that I have that are nocturnal are crested geckos and leopard geckos. My cresties are usually in the living room since they do better in room teperature. Theres usually microwave light, window light, etc. so they tend to do fine.

Since leopard tend to need much higher temps, I keep it in my room since my room gets real warm. The problem is, theres no window in my room. When I sleep at night, its literally pitch black. So I'm wondering if they can still find food and stuff.

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
they are nocturnal but honestly I do not know how they do in pitch black conditions. It sound like you need a under tank heater or heat tape I seriously doubt your room get warm enough to properly care for a leo and even if it did how would they thermoregulate and get cooler. they need a hot spot temp of at least 90°F to properly digest their food most people here keep their hot spot at 94 -97°F with a cooler end so they can thermoregulate.

robin

I have quite a few reptiles so my pets are usually located all over the house. The only reptiles that I have that are nocturnal are crested geckos and leopard geckos. My cresties are usually in the living room since they do better in room teperature. Theres usually microwave light, window light, etc. so they tend to do fine.

Since leopard tend to need much higher temps, I keep it in my room since my room gets real warm. The problem is, theres no window in my room. When I sleep at night, its literally pitch black. So I'm wondering if they can still find food and stuff.

as far as being in a dark room, my "facility" (lol) is in my walk in closet. it has no windows, i do turn the light on everyday (durring the day time) but they do just fine in there :B

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I would imagine that they can still find their way around by smell and touch, but if you're worried about it you could get a small night light to give the room a little ambient light.

Visit our friends