I could use some help!

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
My lovely daughter decided to volunteer me to talk to her career consumer class at school. It doesn't seem to matter that breeding leopard geckos isn't really my job. The teacher thinks I would be good. I thought I'd only have to come in and talk for 10-15 minutes. Wrong! I have the whole class (45 minutes) plus I have to stay for the following class, too.:main_rolleyes:

So now I need some ideas on how to keep these kids interested in breeding for that long. I am planning on bringing in a couple geckos. If I walk around and let them pet them, that should take up a little time. If you were me, what would you talk about? I already know that I need to give them the basics and the pros and cons of breeding.

I have a couple weeks to prepare. Thanks in advance for your imput. (This is 7th grade, so 12-13 year olds.)

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
Craig Stewart's video on Your Guide To The Leopard Gecko would be perfect Haha. pop it in let it run.

No seriously the time should fly just unload everything you know about the topic maybe ad a little economics to it. talk about the crappy market. try to get them interested in leopard geckos, but not enough to want to breed them, as we all now we don't really need more leopards in the market. maybe get into other geckos or small animals in general and take more of a conservation approach. Perhaps get them interested in biology or zoology or saving the planet.
sorry if this makes no seance I just woke up like 5 min ago. time for some coffee.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
You could try explaining the different genetics to them, sort of get a head start on the science class aspect, show how homozygous and heterozygous works, what you can create, (simple morphs though nothing like diablo blancos, dreamsickles etc) things like mack snows to mack snow tremper albinos, how you can create different morphs, maybe bring a picture chart in of the different gecko morphs (basic) and a couple of complicated morphs (super raptors/novas).

Not brilliant but that should take up some more time.
Maybe some colour in leopard geckos?
give them outlines and then let them colour them in to a gecko they would like, and see if any look like any of the morphs.

Again crappy idea but hell its something. :)

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
Talk to them about where they come from first. Then show them what a normal Leo looks like. After that ease into the simpler morphs and bust out some Ghoulish Geckos. Pass out a caresheet and walk them through husbandry. Who knows, they may be future customers? That should take up 45 minutes easy. I have a sneaking suspicion that my niece will put me in your shoes one day. :main_laugh:

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
The care sheet is a good idea. I might have to make about 60 copies and bring them in.:)

Keep the ideas coming. I appreciate them all!

77gecko

what's one more....
Good luck! Maybe a little mish-mash, basic care/set up, basic genetics,
breeding and incubation.

See if the school could make copies of any hand outs you make :)

SFgeckos

Awesome!! That is a great opportunity to share not only your passion for the hobby, but also "plant" the seeds for the next generation! I recently gave a brief presentation for an exotic behavior/animal handling club and this is the rough outline that I used:

Introduction of myself/experiences
Background/history of the animals
Husbandry in captivity (temperatures/housing/diet/handling etc)
Basic physiology (examples- how to sex, how geckos store fat in their tails, defense mechanisms, tail regeneration, VitaD3/calcium absorption, etc)
Breeding/Incubation
Basic Genetics/mutations
Common husbandry errors/most common veterinary problems
"Hands on" period, where students could hold or touch animals
Question and answer

I hope you find the outline somewhat helpful! Obviously, some things may be changed to accommodate the audience level.
Jon

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
What exactly is the point of a "career consumer class"? That would help me in thinking of suggestions, because while geckos are what tie us all to one another here on the forum, I doubt that leos in themselves can be the topic without leaving the main subject of the class.

lady.gekko

"give them outlines and then let them colour them in to a gecko they would like, and see if any look like any of the morphs."

---I think that's a cool and fun idea. I don't know if 12/13 year olds would be really into it, but I think it sounds fun!

I would just talk about morphs, print out some picture examples. Tank setup as mentioned. Lifespan because it seems like a lot of younger people even some older seem to forget how long Leopard Geckos can live! I would just stress the basic care, responsibility, sexing, morphs, list some goods sites or books on where they could research further into the topic. Do the gecko coloring thing...Have a Q+A time. Keep it fun. Good luck!

MellowMan24

you could teach them about pet stores and what they do wrong. and what to look for when buying a leopard gecko. tell them about the different kinds of problems leos can get. idk just a thought

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Then I would discuss feeding, housing, shipping, breeding and the economics of it. How to (if possible) do this in a financially viable way, and definitely give some attention to ethics.

little98dime

I agree with that. The main part of it should focus more on the economic aspect of it, but definitely don't miss out on planting the seeds of interest. The idea of bringing a couple of Leos in and explaining the habits, habitat, life span, care, and breeding should all be a part of it too. After all, with out any of that, you wouldn't have a business.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
Awesome!! That is a great opportunity to share not only your passion for the hobby, but also "plant" the seeds for the next generation! I recently gave a brief presentation for an exotic behavior/animal handling club and this is the rough outline that I used:

Introduction of myself/experiences
Background/history of the animals
Husbandry in captivity (temperatures/housing/diet/handling etc)
Basic physiology (examples- how to sex, how geckos store fat in their tails, defense mechanisms, tail regeneration, VitaD3/calcium absorption, etc)
Breeding/Incubation
Basic Genetics/mutations
Common husbandry errors/most common veterinary problems
"Hands on" period, where students could hold or touch animals
Question and answer

I hope you find the outline somewhat helpful! Obviously, some things may be changed to accommodate the audience level.
Jon

Thanks Jon! This is great!

What exactly is the point of a "career consumer class"? That would help me in thinking of suggestions, because while geckos are what tie us all to one another here on the forum, I doubt that leos in themselves can be the topic without leaving the main subject of the class.

It is a class to help kids think of careers they may want in the future.

Thanks for all the ideas!:D

SFgeckos

I should mention that the outline I used for my presentation was targeted for veterinary students for their school club. As such, I had mostly questions pertaining to husbandry, physiology and common veterinary problems.

Jon

BGalloway

If its about economics why not go through an example of maintenance costs per week/month based on setup (tanks vs racks and number of animals per enclosure), you can include cost of electricity, feeders, gutload, cleaning agents, vet care, website costs, renting table space at shows ,etc. Then go into profit based on how many animals get sold. and then maybe ask students how they might reduce costs or increase profits. Maybe throw in some statistics to show them math can be fun? Good luck!

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
If its about economics why not go through an example of maintenance costs per week/month based on setup (tanks vs racks and number of animals per enclosure), you can include cost of electricity, feeders, gutload, cleaning agents, vet care, website costs, renting table space at shows ,etc. Then go into profit based on how many animals get sold. and then maybe ask students how they might reduce costs or increase profits. Maybe throw in some statistics to show them math can be fun? Good luck!

This is really good! Thank you!

greedo11

Id probably stress the fact that the market is becoming more and more competitive for gecko breeders, due to the fact that it seems to have exploded in the past few years, there is a hell of a lot of breeders out there!!
That would mean you could explain it makes a bit of money but not so much you could give up your other job or retire in a big house on the beach next week!!
Also Id definately go down the route a few people have already mentioned, the ethics of gecko breeding. The fact that they are not just a commodity but living creatures, then you could do 10 min or so on caresheets.
Also you could do questions from the class for about half an hour, less work for you!
Good luck! :main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends