I have a HEATING Dilemma..Help!!

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
OK, bare with me, because I am a new Gecko owner. My cold side reads 77.9 with two different digital probe thermometers. My infrared reader (MT100) reads the cold side at 77.0. Which is ok.
Now, my hot side with the same two digital probe thermometers read 88.5. My infrared MT100 says it is 97.0. Would you trust the digital probe readings or the infrared?? I do not know whether to raise or lower the temps. My Gecko is sitting in his hide on the hot side just watching me check the temps constantly. Please tell me what you think.

LeoMerlin

I use a UTH, and the 60 watt bulb (red). That usually does the trick. Some people use lamp dimmers to help control the temps. The temps on the hot side shouldn't get higher than 95 F. I know in the wild it can get higher, but I think for captive breed geckos it's not supposed to get higher than 95. So you may want to get some sort of thermostat or rheostat to help control the temps.

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
Thanks! I do have a thermostat (ReptiTemp 500R). My concern is whether to trust the digital thermometer or the MT100 infrared. Both read correctly on the cool side. But there is a 10 degree difference on the hot side. Then I will be able to regulate the thermostat.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Are you sure you're measuring the temp in the exact same place with each device? For example, is it possible that you're measuring the floor with the probe and the top of the probe with the infrared reader? Sometimes these UTH's have hot spots. See what you get at various places above the UTH and try moving the probe and seeing, after it callibrates, whether the temp changes.

Aliza

LeoMerlin

That's happened to the probe I have sometimes, the temps will say one thing in one spot, and another in a different spot. Could that be due to the air temps interfering as well? And you're welcome scm133. If you have the thermostat, you should just be able to watch the temps on that right? Set it to like 88 or whatever your preference is, and it should stay that way I would think?

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
I think I finally figured out the problem. My UTH is attached to the RepiTemp 500R, which sadly only has a dial with no numbers,and not a digital readout. It is not proportional, so when it is heating up, the digital probe on top of the carpet does not keep up. Once the Thermostat reaches the optimal temp, it shuts off. This is when I get my most accurate readings. Thanks for your help!!

Visit our friends