ID help please...

ForTozs

What do you guys think this one is?

From mac bold stripe x stripe pairing. Also I think I might switch to perlite for incubation. They seem to be getting vermiculite in their eyes during the hatch. I think one baby might have a problem. I hope this one will be OK. I cleaned its eyes the best I could with sterile eye solution. Has anyone else experienced this?

picture.php

jbs81890

That first gecko looks like is has under formed eyelids to me. Good looking nonetheless.

ForTozs

I'd say second is a hypo tangerine (probably not super hypo). Yeah, something definitely looks funny with the eyelids. So do you think it hatched prematurely? Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Maybe that has something to do with it getting vermiculite in the eyes.

RampantReptiles

There are several theories as to why geckos hatch out without eyelids.
Prematurity maybe a possibility but I tend to lean more towards Vitamin A deficiency from the mother or unstable incubation temps are just a few of the most likely possibilities. Make sure you are using a good thermostat for incubation and that the incubator is in a place where there is a constant temperature (ie. no drafts). As far as vitamin A, I would recommend using a vitamin supplement that contains vitamin A 1-2 times a week. Not all vitamin supplements contain vitamin A so be careful and read the labels. Some possibilities include: repashy supervite or calcium plus, rep-cal herptivite, and zoo med's reptivite.

ForTozs

Thanks. Yes, we currently use herptivite and Calcium with D3 twice a week, as well as keeping a steady supply of Calcium without D3. I think temperature fluctuations might be more probable. I changed residences during the life of the eggs, so there was at least an hour or two that the temperature dropped. Also, the new room they are incubated stays colder than the room at my former residence. The incubator is set the same, but I could see the possibility of the temperature being different. I use a hova-bator type without a fan. Are the eyelids going to grow? It seems like a happy gecko otherwise. I wouldn't need to cull would I?

RampantReptiles

I have heard of eyelids growing in. My experience is that they dont. It depends on how severe it is. As long as the eyes dont dry out then it may be ok. Otherwise the gecko will have to deal with constant infections or worse.
Culling is a definite possibility but you would need to be the judge.

Visit our friends