Ideal Temperature

Skydiver Keith

By testing the temp of my critter's favorite basking spot, I've determined she likes it at 90F. So I've set my thermostat to keep the moist/hot hide at 90F useing an UTH. Obviously, this makes the tile substrate around/under the rock moist hide a bit higher, and the cool side hide's delta T is 15-20F.

Am I on the right track, or do I need to make changes. What do you experienced guys think?

pawsible

Pawsible
Info about temps

The warm end should ideally be around ninety degrees Fahrenheit, with the cooler end around eighty.
Once again, a temperature of about ninety degrees is best, and temperatures over ninety-two can be quite dangerous.
At night, allow the tank to cool to the low seventies, with an under tank pad providing a hot spot. Don't allow the night temperature to sink below sixty-eight degrees, since this can also be bad for your reptiles.
http://www.theultimateleopardgeckomanual.com/

roger

The warm end should ideally be around ninety degrees Fahrenheit, with the cooler end around eighty.
Once again, a temperature of about ninety degrees is best, and temperatures over ninety-two can be quite dangerous.
At night, allow the tank to cool to the low seventies, with an under tank pad providing a hot spot. Don't allow the night temperature to sink below sixty-eight degrees, since this can also be bad for your reptiles.

Your wrong when u say over 92 is dangerous.Where did u get that info from? Even at 100 deg it will not harm your leos.they will just thermo regulate

roger

duplicate [post

cryptid_hunter

I think over 92 degrees is approaching the lethal maximum as far as incubating eggs go, but shouldn't be a huge deal for adult leos as long as they have a temp gradient in the enclosure so they can move to lower temps when they want/need to.

cryptid_hunter

As a general rule, the most common and accepted temperature ranges for leopard geckos is between 86 deg F (hot side) to 70 deg F (cool side). Some leos may prefer a bit warmer, around 90 deg, but I personally think 99 is way too high.

I wouldn't go over 90 myself, but 92 wouldn't kill them, however 99 seems a little extreme.

cryptid_hunter

And I'll add that my Leos are doing just fine with a hot side that ranges from 86-88 and a cool side around 74-75.

I use a UTH under their hides on the hot side, then I have a basking area for them where I use red/blue lights, then a cool side where their water bowl and a couple extra hides are.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
And I'll add that my Leos are doing just fine with a hot side that ranges from 86-88 and a cool side around 74-75.

I use a UTH under their hides on the hot side, then I have a basking area for them where I use red/blue lights, then a cool side where their water bowl and a couple extra hides are.

But you also have the benefit of mother nature's warmer side where you live. What about north west Pa? How would you modify your heating program then?

roger

I think over 92 degrees is approaching the lethal maximum as far as incubating eggs go, but shouldn't be a huge deal for adult leos as long as they have a temp gradient in the enclosure so they can move to lower temps when they want/need to.

92 degrees for incubating eggs is not lethal for incubating eggs.Incubation temps are between 80-89 generally.over 100 is lethal for incubation.where are u getting your information from.Your misinforming ppl

cryptid_hunter

92 degrees for incubating eggs is not lethal for incubating eggs.Incubation temps are between 80-89 generally.over 100 is lethal for incubation.where are u getting your information from.Your misinforming ppl

Misinforming ppl? Pretty much every book I've read, and many internet sources, say that an incubation temperature over 90 degrees for leopard gecko eggs and fat tail eggs can potentially be lethal. I've been breeding fat-tails for a while and know that 92+ for them is certainly the lethal maximum, and many sources for incubating leo eggs say the same. Here is one example:

Temperatures for incubating Leopard Geckos

Sex Temperature

Females
79 - 82°F (26 - 28°C)
Males
87 - 90°F (30 - 32°C)
Mix
82 - 86°F (28 - 30° C)
-- Note that temperatures exceeding the male incubation temperatures can either kill the embryo or result in 'hot' females. These are often very aggressive and territorial, and cannot be housed with other females. Eggs will usually hatch between 50 to 60 days, with males usually hatching earlier than females.

http://www.winstonsweb.co.uk/leopard_gecko_breeding.php

As you can see above, the max temp for incubating for males is 90 degrees, and the note below the temps warns that anything over the upper limit of the male temp (over 90 degrees) "can either kill the embryo or result in hot females".

And that's just one source. The same info can be found in many other places, such as the "Leopard Gecko Guide" I also have in front of me here.

So, personally, I don't think I'm misinforming ppl, I'm just trying to be helpful and pass on what I've read from many sources, it's seems pretty widely accepted based on all the sources I've seen that are of the same basic opinion.....

Last edited:

cryptid_hunter

But you also have the benefit of mother nature's warmer side where you live. What about north west Pa? How would you modify your heating program then?

Do you mean "modify" in terms of what equipment I would use to manage the enclosure temp in a much cooler environment, or do you mean would I change temps based on geographic location?

In case of the former, I actually like to keep the inside of my house pretty cool, but at any rate I would just see what temps seem to work best for the leos and make whatever adjustments are necessary, whether it be getting bigger/stronger UTH's or buying higher wattage red and blue/black/purple lights. I tried warmer with my leos, 90-92 range, but they didn't seem to like it, so I dropped temp a little and now they spend more time on the hot side, they wouldn't hardly ever be seen over there when it was upwards of 92. So you just have to see what works best for them. I guess they're kinda like ppl and like different temps...

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Do you mean "modify" in terms of what equipment I would use to manage the enclosure temp in a much cooler environment, or do you mean would I change temps based on geographic location?

In case of the former, I actually like to keep the inside of my house pretty cool, but at any rate I would just see what temps seem to work best for the leos and make whatever adjustments are necessary, whether it be getting bigger/stronger UTH's or buying higher wattage red and blue/black/purple lights. I tried warmer with my leos, 90-92 range, but they didn't seem to like it, so I dropped temp a little and now they spend more time on the hot side, they wouldn't hardly ever be seen over there when it was upwards of 92. So you just have to see what works best for them. I guess they're kinda like ppl and like different temps...

Yes that was what I was wondering. Which would you increase, the UTH or the infrared. I'm hitting 93 with just my UTH so I don't fret too much about cold NW PA. winters, I'm at 104 with my infrared on so lookin like I'll be installing a rheostat or thermostat very soon here. But mainly the question is which would you increase since they're belly heat kinda herps, larger UTH or the infrared?

roger

Misinforming ppl? Pretty much every book I've read, and many internet sources, say that an incubation temperature over 90 degrees for leopard gecko eggs and fat tail eggs can potentially be lethal. I've been breeding fat-tails for a while and know that 92+ for them is certainly the lethal maximum, and many sources for incubating leo eggs say the same. Here is one example:

Temperatures for incubating Leopard Geckos

Sex Temperature

Females
79 - 82°F (26 - 28°C)
Males
87 - 90°F (30 - 32°C)
Mix
82 - 86°F (28 - 30° C)
-- Note that temperatures exceeding the male incubation temperatures can either kill the embryo or result in 'hot' females. These are often very aggressive and territorial, and cannot be housed with other females. Eggs will usually hatch between 50 to 60 days, with males usually hatching earlier than females.

http://www.winstonsweb.co.uk/leopard_gecko_breeding.php

As you can see above, the max temp for incubating for males is 90 degrees, and the note below the temps warns that anything over the upper limit of the male temp (over 90 degrees) "can either kill the embryo or result in hot females".

And that's just one source. The same info can be found in many other places, such as the "Leopard Gecko Guide" I also have in front of me here.

So, personally, I don't think I'm misinforming ppl, I'm just trying to be helpful and pass on what I've read from many sources, it's seems pretty widely accepted based on all the sources I've seen that are of the same basic opinion.....

hey cryptid- My apologies I misread your post.I thought u said 82 degrees..I read 82 degrees.need to get my glasses on LOL Sorry bud.yes that is correct anything over 92 Dgrees is not good for incubation.I hope u accept my apology

Last edited:

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
The most ideal is to have a temperature gradient for your gecko to regulate themselves. I have a 75/78-95F gradient for my geckos. Eventhough some may not stay on the 95F spot much, but I feel you should still have it available for them when needed. I don't suppose anyone is watching their leopard geckos 24/7, so don't assume your gecko doesn't need a warmer spot (ie. over 88F) just because it seems to hang around at the 86-88 range a lot.

Neville, I like your signature video too! Great suiting background music! lol.

roger

The most ideal is to have a temperature gradient for your gecko to regulate themselves. I have a 75/78-95F gradient for my geckos. Eventhough some may not stay on the 95F spot much, but I feel you should still have it available for them when needed. I don't suppose anyone is watching their leopard geckos 24/7, so don't assume your gecko doesn't need a warmer spot (ie. over 88F) just because it seems to hang around at the 86-88 range a lot.

Neville, I like your signature video too! Great suiting background music! lol.

I agree !

Visit our friends