im confused?!?!?!?

leocobra23

I dont no what kind of substrate to use for my leo. I have to choose between repto carpet or eco earth (coco fiber). As i heard they both dofine but i dont no what to choose just help me.

wakeskate420

Well the only downside of Eco earth is that if you feed mealworms or supers you will need to feed out of a bowl since they'll bury in the substrate, but if you feed crickets you should be ok, I have my 5 leos on Eco earth and they haven't had a problem and like to dig in it sometimes but I do feed supers and mealies out of a dish.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Each one has good points and bad points:

eco earth: you don't have to wash it but there is the problem with the mealworms and also since leos have a drier climate, it's going to get pretty dry (I keep my fat tails on it but I mist it nearly every day so it doesn't get that dry) which means the leos might be irritated by the dust

repti carpet: there are no particles and it looks nice, but it has to be cleaaned and it wears out. Also, sometimes the leos get their claws or teeth stuck in it. If you decide to get repti carpet, do it this way: get 2 pieces. Each time you clean, switch the dirty for the clean. Then wash the dirty one in the sink with soap and water. Put it in the washing machine on the spin cycle to get the water out and air dry it.

Another nice choice is ceramic tile which is pretty cheap if you get the cheapest tiles at Home Depot or Lowes. I prefer it because it's easy to clean and looks nice.

Aliza

wakeskate420

leocobra23 said:
ok like i no when i feed him he goes for the crickets but then his mouth gets stuck.. is there a way i can prevent that???
I have heard of some people ironing their carpet to melt it down a little so they won't get stuck on it as easy, but idk since I've never done it haha

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
if you want easy, switch to paper towels. easy to clean and they can't ingest it. if you want aesthetics, you could possibly use brown butcher paper. looks like sand but of course its cheap and very easy to clean. just toss it and replace

Visit our friends