Im One Step Closer

jerry

All I Need Is My Leo ONYX
I Went And Bought A tank which is 36"L 12"H 12"W Is That Good Enough To House 1 Leopard Gecko??

Photo0098_001.jpg

And I Also Got And Put On An Under Tank Heater For A 30-40Gallon And Put It On The Left Side, Its Hard To See Because Its Dark.

Photo0099_001.jpg

Next Is Reptile Carpet And Some Hides

jerry

thank you, im new to geckos so ill probably stick to one for a while, i just wanted to be able to have enough room for all the hides and there needs and still have room for them to roam around.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Lookin good so far. Only 2 cents I have to add is you may want to put a piece of foam insulating board (like the stuff they wrap your house in before doing the vinyl siding) to protect your table top and to make sure you're not losing heat thru the bottom of your uth. It'll all be directed upwards. Also the adhesive on the uth tends to unstick and the heater will drop off the bottom of the tank. This happened with my son's python's uth, and went unnoticed for some time before we realized why his temps were off. The foam board holds it in place as well, and second, you might want to consider vinyl floor tiles insted of repti carpet. So much easier to clean, looks like natural slate, cheaper since you'd only need 3 tiles so like $6, feeders can't get under it, it holds the heat better, and honestly looks better if you're trying for a natural look tank. If you want I can post a pic of my tank, which is very natural set up with lots of stone, & with the vinyl simulated slate so you can see what it looks like if you like. Also stop thinking 2 dimensionally. You can build upwards as well and provide your leo with vertical floor space on many levels. My leo has 3 different levels to play and hide.

Can't wait to see what kinda hides you get.

Last edited:

jerry

thanks for the advise im going to get the foam insulating board, and its an old desk im not to worried about but i wanna do it so i dont lose heat, and yeaa i would appreciate it when you have time to post some pics of your set ups, i still havent purchased the carpet so im open minded, and yeaa im not the most creative thinker so maybe ill browse around on here to get ideas for adding levels that would be awsome.

thank you i look forward to all the advise i can get

Skydiver Keith

Lookin good so far. Only 2 cents I have to add is you may want to put a piece of foam insulating board (like the stuff they wrap your house in before doing the vinyl siding) to protect your table top and to make sure you're not losing heat thru the bottom of your uth. It'll all be directed upwards. Also the adhesive on the uth tends to unstick and the heater will drop off the bottom of the tank. This happened with my son's python's uth, and went unnoticed for some time before we realized why his temps were off. The foam board holds it in place as well, and second, you might want to consider vinyl floor tiles insted of repti carpet. So much easier to clean, looks like natural slate, cheaper since you'd only need 3 tiles so like $6, feeders can't get under it, it holds the heat better, and honestly looks better if you're trying for a natural look tank. If you want I can post a pic of my tank, which is very natural set up with lots of stone, & with the vinyl simulated slate so you can see what it looks like if you like. Also stop thinking 2 dimensionally. You can build upwards as well and provide your leo with vertical floor space on many levels. My leo has 3 different levels to play and hide.

Can't wait to see what kinda hides you get.

+1

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Here are a couple pix of my tank just to give you a couple ideas. Now I'm not saying this is THEE perfect set up but I think it's pretty decent.

It was different stages of assembly :)

Stage one: The basics. Hot hide on the right, moist hide in the middle, cold side on the left.
tank_2_9-2010-SD6Vn.jpeg
Stage 2: Add more ground bark to secure the tree holding up upper basking platform.
354400214021-DWX4M.jpeg
Stage three: Add Sphagnum moss, move a few lil things like the food bowls, some rocks, and add litterbox (and yes he actually uses the litterbox religiously).
eros_tank_10-10-I8UMi.jpeg

So there it is. Altogether he has 5 hiding spots and 3-ish levels of play area. There's also pix in my photo album on my user profile if you ever lose this thread. Also here is a link to a "Show off your cages" thread that was started some time ago http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=22299 If you have any questions about my set up don't hesitate to ask.

jerry

I Love Your Setup Alot, It Looks Awsome And Natural, I got my digital thermometer, my thermostat for my UTH, Water Dish, Worm Dish, 2 More Hides, and i think i wanna go the same floor as yours ^^^ it looks real nice

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Thanks hon... I appreciate the compliment. Eros seems to dig it. The multi levels of rocks he really enjoys climbing them and never really feels exposed because there's so many places for him to hide quickly if he wants. The boys and I are always up at the creek so we have slate-a-plenty :) When I read that is was their nature in the wild to hide in rock crevices I really wanted to try and simulate that.

Here is a link to the tiles I used. I got them at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xjv/R-202191236/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

f4682b42-9854-45d6-baa3-212df16b2dd8_400.jpg

I really like it and home depot has a great natural stone looking vinyl tile selection.

tastyworms

Looks like you're off to a great start Jerry!

DogShrink:
Did your gecko choose where the "litter box" was going to be, or is there some clever way you got him to use a particular spot?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I actually had the breeder send a tissue from his tub that had his poo on it and baited the litterbox with the poo. It's just desert sand in there with high walls. I used a tie box cut in half and overlapped the 2 halves together to get the size I wanted, and duct taped the whole thing to make it somewhat water resistant.

For the first time in the month and 2 days I've had him the other night it looked like he had a party in his litterbox and kicked a bunch of sand out onto the top of his hot hide there. Silly boy :) but he uses it religiously so I can't complain. It beats hunting his tank for elusive poos. :main_yes:

Visit our friends