Is my new gecko adjusting well?

stinky

I’ve just acquired a new SHTCT last Wed. So, it’s been almost a week.
Age & Sex : 7 months Female
Eating : Have NOT eaten ANYTHING since first day. Feeding it meal worms … previous owner said it ate meal worms since it hatched.
Relationship : First few days, very nervous. Now, it will go back to its cave when we are near, but it will stick its head out to watch. When we manage to gently get it out, it will climb all over us, and rest on my shoulder. Much better than before.
Color : Seem to be getting a bit darker and duller than when I first got it?
Temperature : I live in the tropics, and get about 25 to 38 degrees Celsius which is pretty stable temperature. But it has been raining a lot lately, and temperature is at about 27 degrees Celsius.
So, I would like to ask :
1. I handle it daily for about 15 minutes. It is getting used to it, but I worry that it might be a reason why it is not eating. At this point, should I continue to handle it? Or let it settle down first?
2. I don’t know what the the “normal” case, but I recently notice that the skin around its arms seems a bit saggy. Maybe it is under weight??
3. What is causing it’s color to become darker & duller? Or is it just me?

Any advice for a new keeper??

ILoveGeckos14

The temps you stated are too low, you need to have a hot spot on one side of the cage at 32-34 Celsius and a cool side. You can get the heat up by using an under the tank heater(UTH). The temps being too low can cause the color to darken and the gecko to not eat/digest food very well. I would leave the gecko alone for at the very least two weeks. Also make sure to have a dish of calcium powder in there for her to keep her bones strong and grow. Hope that helps! :)

OneFootedAce

The temps you stated are too low, you need to have a hot spot on one side of the cage at 32-34 Celsius and a cool side. You can get the heat up by using an under the tank heater(UTH). The temps being too low can cause the color to darken and the gecko to not eat/digest food very well. I would leave the gecko alone for at the very least two weeks. Also make sure to have a dish of calcium powder in there for her to keep her bones strong and grow. Hope that helps! :)

:main_yes:

stinky

Oh ... It is now out doors. Maybe I should bring it in doors till the raining season is over.

OK, I'll ask my wife to stop touching it for the next 2 weeks. She loves to play with it in the evenings!!!

Visit our friends