Is my setup Sufficient

Aaron

So I am going to be getting a juvenile leopard gecko soon, and have been setting up the tank in preparation. I have attached images of it. Will it be sufficient for a juvenile? (keep in mind that I still need
prepare the moist hide)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• WIN_20170217_15_04_57_Pro_LI.jpg
    WIN_20170217_15_04_57_Pro_LI.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 47
  • WIN_20170217_15_05_11_Pro_LI.jpg
    WIN_20170217_15_05_11_Pro_LI.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 42

kobikthegecko

It looks good, the only thing you need to make sure of is that your gecko can climb all of the structures in the tank. I can't really tell what your substrate is, it kind of looks like cardboard. Make sure you have sufficient heating and you keep one side of the tank hot and one side a bit cooler. I also have a juvenile leopard gecko. Good luck with your new pet!

Aaron

The substrate is reptile carpet (I know it does look a bit like cardboard in the picture). I have a heat pad under the large hide, and I am planning on getting a small wattage heat emitter for the cool side. And Thank you!

kobikthegecko

Oh my bad! I use a undertank heater and a heating bulb that doesn't produce light for the warm side of my tank, that keeps it at about 85 degrees Fahrenheit. For the cool side I keep a lightbulb on during the day and it's at about 75 degrees. This seems to work well for me. The tank doesn't need to be as warm during nighttime so consider getting a thermostat for the low wattage heater and you can change the temperature depending on the time of day.

Aaron

Yeah, I am definitely going to get a thermostat since the temperature of the heating pad gets too hot after a while (over 100 degrees Fahrenheit) and it just gives more control.

RUBYsoho

Great job with the reptile carpet! I see so many new owners using sand... :main_thumbsdown:
I also commend you on prepping the housing BEFORE getting the gecko - smart move. I think you'll be a great gecko caretaker!

Though you haven't prepared the humid hide yet, I'd actually recommend a taller tupperware container. I have an adult female, so she's got a pretty large one now, but when she was smaller, I remember her not wanting to go into the tupperware because it was too low to the ground. I think if once they go in and feel they not be able to get back out, they'll steer clear. Just a suggestion - let us know how it works out! =)

Visit our friends