Is this an okay setup?

L

LepGeck

I just got my first Leo today and was wondering if this an okay setup for his home. The substrate is felt (same as reptile carpet), I have the hide and some rocks in there, and a water bowl. I'm going to be getting meal worms tommorow. I'm feeding him baby crickets right now as he is only 2 1/2" long. I have a UTH, a "heat lamp" (a normal desk lamp that emits alot of heat), and a thermometer on the hot side it usually reads about 84F-86F. The tank is a 20 gallon tall with dimensons of 20" long by 10" wide by 24" tall.

I've attached two pictures of the basic setup.

roger

If I coulkd make a suggestion and get rid of the felt.Their claws will get caught and it's not the best when getting urine soaked init.The warm end is not warm enough.U need it at least 95 deg on the warm end.Leos need belly heat.U need to keep track of the temps on the floor surface.I noticed u have a thermometere on the side of the tank.U also need damp peat moss or vermiculite on the cool end and a regular hide on the warm end.

Last edited:

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I agree with Roger, raise the temp, and ditch that thermometer. Analog thermometers are inaccurate, sometimes by as much as 20 degrees. A digital thermometer with probe or temp gun are better choices. Also, test that felt to see if the color bleeds when it gets wet, if it does you may want to replace it with reptile carpet or indoor/outdoor carpet from a home improvement store.

Stomlin35

Gamer momma
It might just be because I'm freaking tired, but that looks more like camp foam than felt... again, I'm like incredibly tired.

Add a couple more hides though. They'll appreciate it. Temp should be up around 93F

Visit our friends