Is this Normal?

Hbug

This baby just hatched out this morning and It has this on it's tummy part. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
No, definitely not normal. Looks like it could be yolk that wasn't absorbed before hatching, all you can really do is leave it alone and hope that the baby is able to absorb it. Another possibility is a part of the digestive tract protruding through the navel (if that's what it is called in a reptile). Hopefully one of our vet techs on the board will see this and chime in.

Ryan Jarosek

TikiTikiReptiles.com
That is the yolk sack. Keep the baby humid or in the incubator until it is absorbed completely. Even if its not absorbed it will dry up and fall off. It looks like the hatchling was just a tad premature and didn't have a chance to finish it up.

Is the stomach full? It looks like it is in the pic. I wouldn't call it normal but happens with many reptiles. It not something to be overly concerned about.

Hbug

That is the yolk sack. Keep the baby humid or in the incubator until it is absorbed completely. Even if its not absorbed it will dry up and fall off. It looks like the hatchling was just a tad premature and didn't have a chance to finish it up.

Is the stomach full? It looks like it is in the pic. I wouldn't call it normal but happens with many reptiles. It not something to be overly concerned about.

Thank you, this baby actually came 2 days after it's clutch mate did. I have it in it's tub right now it is very humid in there so should I keep it in there or put it back in the incubator?

Hbug

Just Updating. Everything is fine it did dry up and fall off, so she is just fine and getting ready to have her first shed. Thanks everyone for your help

Visit our friends