Is this turf safe for a Leo?

endrien

Picked this up today because it was cheap. Looking for opinions
8ea2c7ee-014b-dff4.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

contracteryin

Shakawkawkaw
I'm going to say no. It might be too awkward for them to walk on [and if you feed in the cage] they might pull some of the green stuff up. Cleaning doesn't seem too easy.

However, they are your gecko so it's your final decision.

contracteryin

Shakawkawkaw
I use a reptile carpet :) They're pretty cheap [mine was $15 I think?]
If you don't want that, you could use tiles too. If you don't want them to overheat from the under-tank heater just place a repti-carpet under it. It'll still be plenty warm.

The only place I use paper towel [other then my quarantine tank] is the "bathroom" for my leo Neara.

LZRDGRL

You could use tile or hydroton clayballs (available at amazon.com). That looks natural, and stimulates their digging instinct! For hatchlings, I would recommend paper towel, since it is easiest for them to catch crickets on there. They can't find them under rocks that easily; adults can!

Chrissy

ieatfish

I'm a big fan of tile. Our local Lowes will cut the tile to whatever size you need (Home Depot wouldn't) and you can chose anything from small shiny tiles to large shale ones or any combination. We were on reptile sand but the sand works great to regulate the temperature. We found that 1-1.5cm was about perfect with 1/2" shale tile on top with our UTH. I posted a picture in the Show Off Your Cages thread. Perusing through that thread, you can find quite a few different uses for the tile.

Hankj

That turf seems a little too sharp for their soft bellies. I also like tile and had a similar experience with Lowes and Home Depot. My advice:
If you want to put tile down on a 20 long, go to Home Depot and buy two 12 x 12 and one 6 x 12. That fit perfectly.
If you are putting tile down on something else actual measure (don't trust the standards, those includes the thickness of the glass) the tank and consider the silicone that lines the corners, that can make it very frustrating, as it makes the fit a little smaller. At Lowes.
When you are at Lowes make sure the employee actually cuts the tile STRAIGHT, make him/her redo it if he/she messes up. These people are by no means professionals. I actually got my first cut tiles back covered in blood...

LeoMerlin

Best natural looking and still easy to clean substrate would be reptile carpet, or apparently tile from what a lot of people are saying. That looks like it'd be uncomfortable for the gecko.

LeoMerlin

Even if you wash it out regularly? I make sure to wash it once a week, as I clean his tank out once a week to make sure it stays nice and clean. I am thinking of switching to tile though anyways since I've heard so many good things about it.

LeoMerlin

Well I haven't had any problems that I've noticed with the reptile carpet, he's gotten stuck a couple times like I've mentioned before, but that's only when the cricket gets loose from the tongs when I feed him. I am checking out tiles this weekend, but till then, will have to keep him on repticarpet. Tons of people seem to be using it just fine. I also guess it depends on what kind of reptile carpet/brand you got before. I think there's different types of reptile carpet.

im faster

Should Slow Down
he has gotten stuck. that's a problem..:wall::wall::wall::wall:

the fact you CAN NOT CLEAN IT PROPERLY is a problem..
yeah you may be able to clean waste off of it.. but your not deep cleaning it and it is harboring bacteria!

BRAND DOES NOT MATTER!!!!

its bad stuff.. end of story.

you can do what ever you want its your gecko.

but denying the facts is to make yourself think its ok is wrong.

sand its dangerous i use it but i KNOW there are risks. and i know how to detect problems.

sand can be used properly but no mater how much you try you cant properly clean it.

fl_orchidslave

Well I haven't had any problems that I've noticed with the reptile carpet, he's gotten stuck a couple times like I've mentioned before, but that's only when the cricket gets loose from the tongs when I feed him. I am checking out tiles this weekend, but till then, will have to keep him on repticarpet. Tons of people seem to be using it just fine. I also guess it depends on what kind of reptile carpet/brand you got before. I think there's different types of reptile carpet.

My problem is advising people that there is not problem, then stating a problem. Oh sure, it's fine- until it's not. It could have been avoided.

Fact is, it cannot be sterilized. It becomes wet to the core with urine, and yes, geckos do pee liquid as well as the solid urates. This mixed with fecal matter, soaking to the core of this fabulous reptile carpet, will grow bacteria because it cannot be sanitized. It's porous material and a garden waiting to bloom with harmful growth and odor. If you don't think that's true, leave a folded up paper towel in the potty corner for two or three weeks without changing it. Gross huh- well that's what gets inside the layers of reptile carpet.

LeoMerlin

Well as I have stated MANY times now, I am looking to getting tiles. And not to be a smart allec but just about anything will get bacteria on it no matter how much you clean it. I have heard people say they change the carpet out or have spares to prevent that very problem. You use what you can afford and what you think is best. I have read that people change out substrate to prevent bacteria or other problems periodically. You may find problems with just about any substrate you may use but you have to look at the pros and cons and decide from there. Again all we can do is look up info ask questions and go from there on our own.

im faster

Should Slow Down
anything will get bacteria yes..
BUT you can throw away paper towels.
you can het ceramic enought to clean it properly with out it melting.
you can throw sand away..

its not that your getting tiles its that your trying to condone using carpet uwhen more experienced breeders are telling you the bads but you dont seem to care.

i couldnt imagine any person using carpet as disposable.

and your right its your decsion we are just telling you all the cons .. the ONLY pro is it looks nice..

not worth it in my book

LeoMerlin

I am not trying to say it isn't bad or that I am not listening to others. I have been doing tons of research to make sure I am doing things right. I have had so many people tell me carpet was good. I am about to put him on paper towels for now till I can get the tiles. I don't like arguing with people, I just want to put in info I have found out. I know I am not an expert on this, no one is an expert. It is a learning experience. I am sorry if I have irritated you in any way. That is not my intention. I just want to help and get help when I need it myself. I do appreciate the input from everyone.

Visit our friends