is zero light ok?

toph427

I dont get any daylight in my basement where the geckos are. Are they ok without a 12hr. light cycle?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Not really IMO. They should have some light source so that they can judge season by the degree of daylight they have access to. That is why it is suggested to place them in a room with a window if you don't want to simulate light for them. Light cycles dictate letting them know whenit is time to breed/ovulate, etc... What I would do is suppliment witha lamp and a regular low wattage incandescnet bulb maybe 15-25 watts set on a timer to simulate the light cycle he is missing from being in a dark basement.

roger

I dont get any daylight in my basement where the geckos are. Are they ok without a 12hr. light cycle?

there must be some ambient light in your basement.Im my basement there is still windows in my basement where there is minimum daylight just enough to keep them on their daylight cycle

sausage

BSc AMAS
when my geckos didnt have access to natural light i just put all their lights on timers to match exactly the time cycles that we were having at that time of year, longer in the summer months and shorter in the winter months. so say for december lights go on at say 7/8am and fade off at round 4pm.

Jordan

they need to no when to sleep and and wake up and when to breed etc. Temps and lights are what tell them this.

constant darkness is probably quite stressful for them. cant exactly say why, but imagine it being day all the time for us.

Dron2124

Crested
they need to no when to sleep and and wake up and when to breed etc. Temps and lights are what tell them this.

constant darkness is probably quite stressful for them. cant exactly say why, but imagine it being day all the time for us.

aka alaska durign the summer i think it is. i know i couldnt handle day light all the time.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
All you really need is a regular household lamp in the room plugged into a power strip with a timer. Or just be good at remembering to turn the lamp on and off yourself.

toph427

Yea...what I have been doing is putting a lamp with about a 40 watt bulb next to all of my tanks. It is not like a direct spotlight on them, but just gives general light to the tanks. Every morning I turn them on around the same time and turn them off around the same time at night. I have been doing this since I have had them and haven't had any problems. The only reason I asked is because someone in another post said that lamps, light, etc. would stress them out. Although I never had a problem with them being stressed and not eating, I just wanted to make sure everything was ok.
Thanks for the input

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I think the lighting they might have been referring to is UV lighting directly into their tank hon. A regular incandescnet light in the same room shouldn't pose much stress unless you're using a super high wattage bulb. You may however want to invest in a timer (they're pretty cheap), that way you have the best control over the duration of time the lights do remain on just in case you get delayed coming home or something else happens and you aren't there to shut them off.

Visit our friends