Isolating glass tanks

G_leopard

Hi do you have any Ideas to insulate glass 10 gallon tanks? I have lots of them and I want to use them for leopards but I guess they will get cold fast, any sugestions ?

Last edited:

LeoMerlin

Thermostats definitely sound like they will help maintain the right temps at all times. I'm still looking for the right one myself. So you're going to have separate glass in the 10 gallon tanks? I don't know but I think I read somewhere that people will put the UTH under the middle of the tank so it'll keep both geckos warm, and leave a cool side on the far left/right sides of the tank. I read that somewhere I think, so you might could try that.

gmaier19

lol, there seems to be a lot of confusion because the original poster said "isolate" when they meant to say insulate.

an under tank heater will keep it warm enough, even though glass is not a good insulator.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
If you find you're losing heat thru the glass, what I ended up doing was to glue pieces of foam insulation to the back and 2 sides of the tank (outside not inside) not only to provide a little more privacy for Eros but also to help with heat loss since he is near an 84 inch tall window. We do well with keeping temps between 91-95*F even on the coldest of Nw. Pa. Winters. Putting a UTH or heat tape in between the tanks on the sides isn't going to help your leos as it is belly heat that is most important to them not ambient air temps. They need the belly heat for proper digestion. If you're using the flex watt I assume you have all the tanks side by side and running a single run of tape under them all on 1 side, controlling it with a thermostat to maintain temps?

G_leopard

Hi kel, I´m about to make that with flexwatt, your Idea sounds great im going to use flat corck or foam to make it that way,I´ll use a herpstat to control temperature

rickmoss95

herpstats are awesome. and something that will really help out(aside from the flexwatt) is keeping them in a room that stays warmer. unless you line them in styro or something(that would be really unconvenient)...insulating glass is a real pain. but alot of people keep leopards in glass aquaria without any problems at all. as long as you get the hot spot up to 92 to 96, the cool side can be in the mid 70's without any negative affect. i think alot of people think because of where leopards are from, that they are exposed to 100 temps constantly...however they usually only come out at night and spend their days deep underground or in deep shaded rock crevices. i think they are usually alot cooler than 95 anyways, but i still provide a spot that is that warm on the belly. my cool end is around 78 degrees, and alot of them hang out there quite a bit...which tells me they like that temp.

G_leopard

Great advice, I have one fish room, that is a small room 4*2 m olny for fish tank rack with one large window and one wooden door, I insulate the window with policarbonate transparent sheets, in extreme cold wintes I used to put some foam on the window. But know all my tanks will gradually become gecko tanks

Visit our friends