Issues with feeding...

R

RJ87

I've noticed that my Fatty hasn't eaten in almost 5 days and I'm a little worried. I know amphibians and lizards can go for a few days without eating, but is it normal for fatties to go this long without eating on a regular basis? I've tried live mealworms, freeze dried crickets, and live crickets (haven't been able to get a hold of them to feed him by hand, but I've read that fatties are very capable of catching them, unless my gecko is just lazy)

Has anybody had similar issues, and what have you found that works?

Sikmike

Did you just get him/her? Could be two weeks or longer till your gecko is comfortable to eat. Proper heating and hot spots? After 5 days you should absolutely not worry at all. Females will brumate and not eat for almost a month I believe or longer. My gecko just went on a personal hunger strike for 2 1/2 weeks after ingesting cocofiber, and a shed afterwards, the other day he ate 17 mealworms ravenously like I've never seen before. Any stress will decrease appetite, but when your gecko is ready to eat, it will know when to eat it's not trying to worry or frustrate you.

Stick with mealworms/crickets, ALIVE, he will choose one to eat eventually if you offer food every night, but remember to take crickets out (make sure the crickets are well fed) in the morning or a few hours after.

These guys can go months without eating, it may not be healthy, but 5 days is just nothing. Without any more information of your setup, and the age of your gecko and the history with it, theres not that much advice I think you'll get. These forums are great I've found, use the search function and type in your distresses, 9 times out of 10 you will find reassuring answers. Good luck RJ.

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
also, its winter many places, and the geckos are in brumation or just coming out of brumation, which means they are barely eating.

but five days really is nothing at all to worry about. like sikmike said these guys can go months without eating. its not a good thing but its possible.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
5 days is nothing at my house! My male AFT just started to eat again on his own after about 2 months (including 1 month of being treated with antibiotics for a mouth infection which didn't help).

Aliza

Samantha

I also just got two fatties and they're nt eatin yet either just got them Saturday makes me happier to hear all of this reasurance

Visit our friends