Leo Gecko Racks

krazedpythonboy

I have two questions about racks I am planning to order:

1. What is the optimal size tub for an adult, juvenile, and hatchling gecko?
2. What would be the best way to heat the rack? Belly heat or back heat?

Thanks a ton,
Paul

geckoeyez

What I would say is:

1. Adult: 28qt, Juvie: 16qt, and Hatchling: 6qt
2. I use belly heat. It helps the be able to warm their bellies to digest food. Back heat doesn't really give them that option. So I would say belly heat.

Hope I helped! :D

krazedpythonboy

Where can racks be bought that contain 28qt tubs? I've been looking at animalplastics.com and all I see they have is 32qt and 15 qt. Any other recommended websites for purchasing rack systems?

CapCitySteve

Paul, He's talking about making your own.

You can also try vision rack systems. They use heat chord for belly heat. I use sterlite 28 or 27 qt tubs for adult and juvenile groups and i use 12 qt tubs for hatchlings and juveniles. If your going to buil your own using melamine like i did I recomend using shelving pegs for most of the shelves so you can remove them when you need to relocate the rack.

Animalplastics -- 32 and 15 qt tubs will also work fine. I keep my females in trios and males solo. And groups for jeveniles and hatchlings. Also check out their rubbermaid racks.

Last edited:

goReptiles

steve, it's the racks that's the question, as racks are built to fit certain tubs.

Paul, I would be interested in an answer to your question, as where to find racks built for 28qt.

I use the animal plastics economy racks.

krazedpythonboy

Alright I believe I found some racks I'm going to order, but I want to know what the main difference is between rubbermaid and sterlite? Also, how many geckos can be fit in a 32qt tub? 28qt tub?

Thanks,
Paul

krazedpythonboy

So 15qt. are fine? I was thinking about going with those, but I was not sure if those would be adequte housing size. If you say so, I'll go with it! That just means I can get more geckos! :D

CapCitySteve

I go with three females per 28qt tub. I'm sure you could do 4 to 5 in a 32qt. The only difference between rubbermaid and sterlite is the brand and as a result the dimensions of the tubs are different so the shelf spacing has to be different. All this is listed in the rack specifications on the animal plastics website. And yes 15 qt tubs are good for one gecko. The only difference between the 15 qt and the 12 qt is the height of the tub.

Visit our friends