Leopard Gecko - Giving Medicine Tips

GizGecks

Hi I'm new here so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place!

My leopard gecko is poorly at the moment with what the vet thinks is an absess near his eye (eye doesnt seem to be involved)

She has given him a course of oral antibiotics for me to give using a syringe. I tried his first dose today and he was not a fan! I couldn't get him to open his mouth so I tried a technique I saw online of putting a drop on his nose for him to lick off. He did but clearly hated the taste and spat it out and then wiped his nose and face over me to remove it all!

My question is is there anything I could mix it in with so it tastes better and he actually eats it! If he was a cat I would mix it in cheese or something...not sure it would work with crickets/mealworms though!

Any ideas?!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm not sure about mixing it with anything, but if you do, try a drop of what you want to use (you can try chicken baby food) by itself to see if it will eat that.
When I had to medicate my geckos, I'd sit on the couch, put the gecko on my stomach with my hand gently over it and put a drop on the nose. You can also get a hollow tube that goes on the end of the syringe and can then poke it into the corner of the mouth.
Good luck!

Aliza

GizGecks

Thanks I'll give that a go :) The tube sounds good I'm seeing the vet again today so will ask if they have them!

Visit our friends